The Student Room Group

Coronavirus impact on MiM & MSc Finance applications

Hi everyone,

I'm currently finishing my second year of undergrad degree and I'm planning on applying for either a MiM or MSc Finance in autumn (targeting top UK and European unis). Due to the problematic job market, I would tend to think that more people will apply for masters now, making these programmes even more competitive. I presume that prospective applicants will also have more free time on hands, meaning that they will spend more time preparing for the GMAT, for example. On the other hand, I believe applications from foreign students will decrease but by a small amount.

How do you think the pandemic will impact applications for the 2021 intake (Class of 2022)?
The truth is, you just can't know, everything at the moment is very speculative given that the current pandemic is completely unprecedented. I would predict that competition amongst home students may only increase marginally, back in 2008, I believe applications increased by around 10-20%, however this recession looks like it may be a lot worse, but mitigated by the furlough scheme. My main concern is that competition with international students will increase greatly, this will be amongst students who won't be able to travel to university next year and will apply for the following year. Keep in mind that there is no limit on the number of international students that universities can accept and that their tuition fees are much higher.
However, contrary to this, universities are set to struggle financially, so maybe they might increase the number of places, we just don't know. The advice I'm following myself is to just try and remain as competitive as possible, by taking the GRE over summer and doing my best to get good grades.

I'm also trying to remain optimistic, if I don't succeed for 2021, I could try the year after, I could take the CFA instead, either way I'll find a way to get where I want to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending