The Student Room Group

What is a foundation degree, and what would it mean for me if I was to take one?

I am provisionally looking at university as a route of study for me. Just wondering how a foundation degree differs from a 'regular'/full degree?
Cheers guys.
Foundation degree is basically a year 0 of the course you want to do, you will cover all the course content you will need for the rest of the degree. E.g. if you want to do engineering but didn't get good enough grades or didn't do the right a levels or are just returning to education after 5+ years, a foundation year would cover all the maths and physics you will need to do the degree. You still get the same degree as everyone else when you graduate, the only issue is it takes a year so you will have an extra year of debt.
A foundation degree is the equivalent to the first two years of a bachelors degree. After you finish the foundation degree you have the option of doing a top-up year which is the equivalent to the third and final year of a bachelors degree, you will be awarded with the same qualification as someone who did all three years of a bachelors. Likewise you can stop your study at the end of the two year foundation degree, collect your foundation degree qualification and try to get a job in the industry.
Original post by chrismanning0711
Foundation degree is basically a year 0 of the course you want to do, you will cover all the course content you will need for the rest of the degree. E.g. if you want to do engineering but didn't get good enough grades or didn't do the right a levels or are just returning to education after 5+ years, a foundation year would cover all the maths and physics you will need to do the degree. You still get the same degree as everyone else when you graduate, the only issue is it takes a year so you will have an extra year of debt.

Right okay, thanks for your help.
Original post by chrismanning0711

That's a foundation year, not a foundation degree.
Original post by --Student
A foundation degree is the equivalent to the first two years of a bachelors degree. After you finish the foundation degree you have the option of doing a top-up year which is the equivalent to the third and final year of a bachelors degree, you will be awarded with the same qualification as someone who did all three years of a bachelors. Likewise you can stop your study at the end of the two year foundation degree, collect your foundation degree qualification and try to get a job in the industry.

Thank you, yeah I was thinking - surely that can't be right, but I thanked them anyway.. So it is still a good thing to consider? If not, why not? Thanks...
(As far as student debt is concerned, it's not really a debt in the traditional sense. I mean; you only start paying it back once you get above a certain income threshold, and if you don't pay it all off by a certain age it's written off. Equally, it's written off if you become too ill to work before the debt is paid off. I only know this because reps from a university came and visited us at college a while back)
Original post by UnchartedDude18
Thank you, yeah I was thinking - surely that can't be right, but I thanked them anyway.. So it is still a good thing to consider? If not, why not? Thanks...
(As far as student debt is concerned, it's not really a debt in the traditional sense. I mean; you only start paying it back once you get above a certain income threshold, and if you don't pay it all off by a certain age it's written off. Equally, it's written off if you become too ill to work before the debt is paid off. I only know this because reps from a university came and visited us at college a while back)

You're correct about the student loans.

In terms of whether a foundation degree is worth it or not depends on what institution you're going through.
You have to bare in mind the "Top-up" year can only really be done at the university that awards the foundation degree, most universities do not offer top-up degrees and it's very hard if not impossible to change the university for the third and final year (Top-up year).

The ability to stop studying after completing your foundation degree and go straight into the industry is appealing, but you'd be less employable compared to someone who holds a full bachelors in your subject, and may not be able to progress through the ranks until you do your top-up year.

Most if not all foundation degrees are taught at HE colleges, so you won't get the supposed "Uni life" most people seek, at least not until you attend university for your final year.

Foundation degrees are generally cheaper than the first two years of university, saving you on average £3000 in tuition fees per year.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending