The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I'm going to turn 22 in my second year?

Are people my age way ahead of me in life? Will I feel old?

I don't really know what I want to ask
No. My brother is 25 and applying for uni at the moment.
Not at all :smile: Follow your own path, people on uni courses tend not to care about age. Most 20somethings look indistinguishable from another in terms of age
I had a costumer around her 40ies going to the third year of uni. It's never too late, everyone has their own clock to follow.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

I’m older than you and haven’t even started Uni yet.
You shouldn’t judge yourself based on other people’s achievements. You’ll get where you want in life eventually, just put the work in.
Reply 5
The reason I'm two years 'behind' is because after sixth form I went straight to uni (and shouldn't have) and dropped out in the first year. After this I took a year out and did an Access to HE course which I wanted to use to get into a better uni as opposed to my A Levels (which weren't good). This access course is all I did last year, and I ended up not even using the Access course. The rest of last year was what I guess you could call a 'gap year' in which I didn't do much.

The reason I'm explaining this is because people here are saying they're older and at uni etc etc, but I'm pretty sure in your years before uni, you were somewhat 'productive', weren't you? That's what makes me different to you.

I basically wasted a year at the first uni that I dropped out of because it wasn't suitable for me, and then I wasted another year.

Feels crappy writing this :/
I missed three years between school and uni for health reasons. I didn't really manage to do anything tangible in this time. People know I'm older now but wouldn't unless I told them. Nor do they care, at all. You just took a couple of gap years as you didn't know what you wanted to do, etc.
I'm 26 and just finished my second year, 22 is still young.
Reply 8
Original post by furryface12
I missed three years between school and uni for health reasons. I didn't really manage to do anything tangible in this time. People know I'm older now but wouldn't unless I told them. Nor do they care, at all. You just took a couple of gap years as you didn't know what you wanted to do, etc.

Thank you, I really appreciate this. It is true that I simply didn't know what I wanted to do.

Hi!

It's not a bad thing at all. I'm friends with people who are 19-22 years old all in the same year at Uni and you just naturally forget about everyones ages because it doesn't matter. As for people your age being ahead of you in life, this really doesn't matter! Everyone does things at their own time and pace and everyones definition of success and being ahead in life is different. Also you won't feel old at all!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Thank you for your replies everyone
Im 23 and just about to graduate, so am older than some people on my course. Literally no one is bothered about your age. I lived in a house first year with a guy who started uni at 25, and some that started at 18, age isn't really an issue.
Got the odd grandma joke but that's more to do with my love of knitting lol
No!!! I'm going in a year late, and I worried about the same thing, but honestly its fine! Promise :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Im 23 and just about to graduate, so am older than some people on my course. Literally no one is bothered about your age. I lived in a house first year with a guy who started uni at 25, and some that started at 18, age isn't really an issue.
Got the odd grandma joke but that's more to do with my love of knitting lol

Hahah
Original post by litstudent30
No!!! I'm going in a year late, and I worried about the same thing, but honestly its fine! Promise :smile:

Thanks
Reply 15
The reason I'm two years 'behind' is because after sixth form I went straight to uni (and shouldn't have) and dropped out in the first year. After this I took a year out and did an Access to HE course which I wanted to use to get into a better uni as opposed to my A Levels (which weren't good). This access course is all I did last year, and I ended up not even using the Access course. The rest of last year was what I guess you could call a 'gap year' in which I didn't do much.

The reason I'm explaining this is because people here are saying they're older and at uni etc etc, but I'm pretty sure in your years before uni, you were somewhat 'productive', weren't you? That's what makes me different to you.

I basically wasted a year at the first uni that I dropped out of because it wasn't suitable for me, and then I wasted another year.

Feels crappy writing this :/

What came before is irrelevant. I'm starting uni this September and I'm 21 (I also wasted a few years after school), but I'm just relishing in the idea of being able to look forward instead of backwards for once.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending