username5286268
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I left university based on health reasons in term 2 and I was awarded 60 extra days funding which takes me past the academic year 2019/20 dates i.e. I should receive my full entitlement including term 3. At the beginning of this month I received a letter stating my entitlement won't change based on health reasons. However, today I received a letter today stating I have received a grant overpayment. Is this a mistake?
NeroliTenzing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think you may have misunderstood the 60 days, the 60 days will only be added from the date you suspended, so if you suspended 1 march, you're entitled to funding until roughly may 1st. Which means you're not entitled to all of your term 3 payment which covers students until August 31st.
As you're suspended, you can choose to pay it back now or they take it off next year's entitlement for you instead (in chunks).
There are also ways of delaying that until the end of your studies but you'd need to provide evidence to student loans company about why you cant afford to return the overpayment money until after the course.
Also when you say grant payment, do you mean loan payment? Or are you getting childcare or adult dependent grant as well?
username5286268
Rep:
?
(Original post by NeroliTenzing)
I think you may have misunderstood the 60 days, the 60 days will only be added from the date you suspended, so if you suspended 1 march, you're entitled to funding until roughly may 1st. Which means you're not entitled to all of your term 3 payment which covers students until August 31st.
As you're suspended, you can choose to pay it back now or they take it off next year's entitlement for you instead (in chunks).
There are also ways of delaying that until the end of your studies but you'd need to provide evidence to student loans company about why you cant afford to return the overpayment money until after the course.
Also when you say grant payment, do you mean loan payment? Or are you getting childcare or adult dependent grant as well?
I didn't leave at the start of term 2. I left just before term 3 started which is still classed as term 2. So with the 60 days takes me up to the full academic year. No the maintenance grant
NeroliTenzing
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh ok, what course are you doing to get a grant direct from SFE? they got phased out in 2016. Definitely not an NHS or teaching bursary?
I would say start of term 3 is still not covering the full summer holidays to 31 august so some is still likely an overpayment unfortunately. I guess the university suspension got processed by SFE after your term 3 payment went out so they've recalculated.
username5286268
Rep:
?
term 3 isn't to cover up until august 31st as the new academic year starts on the 1st august
username5286268
Rep:
?
even with the payment going out for term 3 with the 60 days I should still receive full funding which is why I wondering if this is a mistake on their part
Shirohige
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by w86b93)
term 3 isn't to cover up until august 31st as the new academic year starts on the 1st august
Im pretty sure the start of the academic year is September 1st.
NeroliTenzing
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by w86b93)
Courses that start 1st of august until 31st December are all classed as 1st Sept academic year, then Jan 1st, April 1st and a few July 1st. I know its confusing to have August month included in september AY start. Either way, I'd say best to ring if you're not sure why it is, but I reckon it will be shaving a month or two off this years funding based on the date you gave.
username5286268
Rep:
?
ok putting dates and semesters aside then what I'm really asking is should the 60 extra days of funding based on medical grounds be applied to both the maintenance loan and the maintenance grant because, currently my entitlement is only stating that the 60 extra days funding are applied to the maintenance loan and not the grant
NeroliTenzing
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You would need to check with them, if that's what it said on the agreement, then just the loan I guess. But like I said, I've never seen a maintenance grant for a course post 2016 that was sourced by SFE rather than just paid through them. I never dealt with that in 3 years so I would check with SFE first to clarify the position. If the grant is being funded by another source you'd need to check with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (20)
16.53%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (40)
33.06%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
9.92%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.74%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.13%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
23.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.65%

Watched Threads