Is there any way for me to still get into University of Glasgow?

Watch
Mahheeee
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am an EU student from Sweden with a predicted 43 (HL 777 Chem, Phys, Eng) and I applied for chemistry at UOG. I got a rejection due to "intense competition for limited spaces" even though I had good grades and a recommendation from the chemistry teacher at my school. I understand this was the case for many University of Glasgow applicants from the EU this year, but I really had my heart set on this course at UOG. I got offers for Chem from St. Andrews and Strathclyde but I don't really wanna go to either to be quite frank. I've considered maybe going to one of those and then transferring to Glasgow, but I don't know if that's possible. I'd prefer to just immediately go to Glasgow, is there any way of doing this? I would try with clearing, but I heard they rarely have spots available for EU students. Should I contact them now? Should I contact them on results day? Is there nothing I can do at all? Any help would be appreciated.

TL;DR: Rejected from Glasgow even though I exceeded their requirements by a large margin and had good reference, is there any way to still get in?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Mahheeee)
I am an EU student from Sweden with a predicted 43 (HL 777 Chem, Phys, Eng) and I applied for chemistry at UOG. I got a rejection due to "intense competition for limited spaces" even though I had good grades and a recommendation from the chemistry teacher at my school. I understand this was the case for many University of Glasgow applicants from the EU this year, but I really had my heart set on this course at UOG. I got offers for Chem from St. Andrews and Strathclyde but I don't really wanna go to either to be quite frank. I've considered maybe going to one of those and then transferring to Glasgow, but I don't know if that's possible. I'd prefer to just immediately go to Glasgow, is there any way of doing this? I would try with clearing, but I heard they rarely have spots available for EU students. Should I contact them now? Should I contact them on results day? Is there nothing I can do at all? Any help would be appreciated.

TL;DR: Rejected from Glasgow even though I exceeded their requirements by a large margin and had good reference, is there any way to still get in?
You are highly unlikely to get into Glasgow this year. Scottish universities do not charge fees for EC at present although it is highly likely it will change for future years. Because of this there are strict caps on the numbers of EU students they will accept. Basically they are not getting money for EU students in the way they do from UK applicants and other overseas students. This cap system often means that applicants exceeding the minimum entry requirements get rejected and there will be no way for you to get in.

Your choice is either to go to one of your other choices this year or reapply to Glasgow next year. There is a very strong possibility that after this year EU students applying to UK universities will be treated as overseas students and having to pay the same fees as say Chinese or American students. That will remove the cap but will come at a huge cost.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.9%
I'm not sure (31)
4.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
32.18%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.11%
I'm not a current university student (312)
47.13%

Watched Threads