The Student Room Group

Foundation year?

What is a foundation year? Im a mature student and im a bit confused as to what a foundation year is? Is this what everyone starts on ie is it the first year of the 3 year degree?
A foundation year is not the first year of your degree. It's an extra year of study that goes before the degree course so you do the foundation year then go onto doing the degree. People will take foundation years for various reasons, one being if you're a mature student and haven't been in education for a few years so you won't have much previous knowledge on the subject. People will also take foundation years if they don't meet the entry requirements for the degree course. The foundation year essentially teaches you everything you need to know to be able to do the degree course.
What course are you planning on studying?
Original post by studentlemon
A foundation year is not the first year of your degree. It's an extra year of study that goes before the degree course so you do the foundation year then go onto doing the degree. People will take foundation years for various reasons, one being if you're a mature student and haven't been in education for a few years so you won't have much previous knowledge on the subject. People will also take foundation years if they don't meet the entry requirements for the degree course. The foundation year essentially teaches you everything you need to know to be able to do the degree course.
What course are you planning on studying?

Hi! So ive applied for adult nursing and i spoke to admissions on the phone and they said i wouldnt need to do a foundation year as i meet the requirements already but ucas still says foundation year. I have an interview tomorrow. But then when i spoke to a different uni they said foundation was their firsr year? Im really confused and as im 25 i have no one who understands either haha
Original post by Bethayton2
Hi! So ive applied for adult nursing and i spoke to admissions on the phone and they said i wouldnt need to do a foundation year as i meet the requirements already but ucas still says foundation year. I have an interview tomorrow. But then when i spoke to a different uni they said foundation was their firsr year? Im really confused and as im 25 i have no one who understands either haha

Oh right, I've never heard of a foundation year being the first year unless the course requires you to do a foundation year? Different places will have the same course but teach with different structures. I guess one of your unis just have a required foundation year by default and the other one doesn't. The content will be the same in general and you'll get the same qualifications so I think it's just up to you.

If you've already got the qualifications to do the degree then I'd personally just straight do the degree. The only reason I'd take a foundation year is if I've taken a few years out of education and don't have much background knowledge on the subject at all but the fact that the uni says you don't need to do one probably means you'll be fine. For the course info on UCAS you could always call/ email the uni to double check you're enrolled onto the right one? I'm not too sure though
Original post by studentlemon
Oh right, I've never heard of a foundation year being the first year unless the course requires you to do a foundation year? Different places will have the same course but teach with different structures. I guess one of your unis just have a required foundation year by default and the other one doesn't. The content will be the same in general and you'll get the same qualifications so I think it's just up to you.

If you've already got the qualifications to do the degree then I'd personally just straight do the degree. The only reason I'd take a foundation year is if I've taken a few years out of education and don't have much background knowledge on the subject at all but the fact that the uni says you don't need to do one probably means you'll be fine. For the course info on UCAS you could always call/ email the uni to double check you're enrolled onto the right one? I'm not too sure though

Thank you for your help! Il get onto them ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending