The Student Room Group

HELP Which alevels shall I drop ???

I don’t know what career I want to get into but I’ve got it down to three law journalism or social work I’m currently studying alevels and don’t know which subject to drop English literature religious studies health and social care and sociology
Also I have a question I’ve heard that some unis don’t accept your grades if you study health and social care with alevels is this true ? Should I drop health and social care because of this reason ? I’m been stressing about this for the whole day
(edited 3 years ago)
Is the health and social care a BTEC subject?
I applied for Social Work year and I got accepted into my two choices following the interview process and obviously results day. It's not the easiest of courses to get into when you're fresh out of college as a lot of older and more experienced people tend to go for it but at the end of the day it comes down to your performance on your interview day and of course, grades. I studied English Literature, History and Sociology. Which was a nice mix of subjects really, all essay based but that's my forte for it worked well for me.
In your personal statement you're going to break subjects down to what skills you've gained from them so think about that. I think the easier way of coming to a decision is to decide what you need and you'll find yourself coming to a conclusion on what to drop. I'm not going to tell you what to drop because that's your decision but I'll help to break it down for you.

Journalism - , You definitely want to keep English Lit because of course, you'll need a high quality of written English to study this. I think Religious Studies would be quite beneficial for this one too because it gives you a different perspective of people, you tend to have more of an understanding of people from different backgrounds and religions which would fit quite nicely with journalism. Also Sociology would be great for journalism, again like RS it gives you a better understanding of society and the people within society, which in the long run would help you bring together articles etc as you can add in this context.
So we then come to Health and Social which I don't see fitting in as much as the other three for journalism.

Law - English would be useful for the written part of your degree, Sociology definitely because again, you'll get a better insight into society. Health and Social, again would help you with the understanding of society. So I guess RS is the one that doesn't fit in the best here but I still think it could apply to studying Law.

Social Work - Honestly I think all of them apply but it'd be a nice mix to go for Sociology, English and RS.

Hope this helps and makes sense
For Law, you dont need any specific A level as well as journalism (not sure I suggest you research uni entry requirements) so I would focus on the entry requirements of social work. No it's not true because unis accept btecs along with levels. However, it's a factor that might not get you accepted as it might not be relevant - I know for Law at least that they wont accept it because its not relevant to law, where BTEC psychology is. Although you dont even need a law degree to go into the legal sector so as long as you are doing a degree you'll can drop any subject as long as they accept that specific btec. What about your other A levels? How do you feel about them and how do you handle them?
Original post by Flowerpot2424
I don’t know what career I want to get into but I’ve got it down to three law journalism or social work I’m currently studying alevels and don’t know which subject to drop English literature religious studies health and social care and sociology
Also I have a question I’ve heard that some unis don’t accept your grades if you study health and social care with alevels is this true ? Should I drop health and social care because of this reason ? I’m been stressing about this for the whole day

I would drop health and social care - stick to 3 A levels which will satisfy any uni

Quick Reply

Latest