The Student Room Group

What should I do

Okay so basically I’ve just started S6 (on google classroom obvs). In S5 I took Higher Maths, Spanish, English, Biology and History. In the last three of these I got an A in the prelim and was predicted a 1 (high A) in those subjects so I’m hopeful of those getting A’s although I did quite badly in Bio at the start of the year so idk if that’ll affect it? Anyway I failed the maths prelim and scraped a C in Spanish but I’d improved quite a lot in Spanish since and I think I did well in the writing and speaking assignments so that should hopefully lift me up to a B, Maths I’ll be lucky to get a C in though.

I want to study some form of History, maybe History and Politics at uni. Originally my choices are S6 were Advanced History, Advanced English (I know), Higher Modern Studies (crashing) and Nat 5 Cookery so I’d get a fun class with my friend. But the school informed me that the modern class was full up and I’d have to take something else. All the other Highers on offer in the columns were not for me at all, all things I’d either never done before or found really difficult so I decided to...drop cookery as well and take Advanced Biology as well as the other two AH’s. 😂

I’m finding it okay so far but ik it’s way too early to tell. A few people have said to me to drop Biology but I’m just not sure what to do. I really want to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow for university, especially Edinburgh (I’m in Aberdeen) and I know it’s a competitive one. Is it useful to do the three AH’s? I was hoping for all A’s in my Highers so I’m worried that not getting A’s in Maths and Spanish will affect my uni chances :frown:
I would say that if you could get a good grade in biology to stick with it. A lot of unis like if you have a science or maths based subject as it shows you can think objectively and will show you as an all-rounder. However, make sure you will enjoy it as advanced higher sciences are a lot of work if you hate the course.
Three advanced highers will hopefully make up for any grades lost at higher, also a lot of teachers are putting estimated grades higher than prelim results as they know people would improve. So your maths and spanish grades will probably improve from what you think. If you really want a high grade in them, you might be able to retake it this year?
Hope i helped!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending