Grace Appleby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
What is English Lit like at A level? I don’t know weather to take it because I heard some people hate it and it was really difficult. I know we’re with AQA and we study, THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD, ATONEMENT AND CRIME ANTHOLOGY, THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST, TWELFTH NIGHT AND COMEDY ANTHOLOGY. I don’t particularly enjoy reading, but I’ve read into the texts and they all seem interesting and I’ve watched the film versions and I really enjoyed them, so I’m unsure what to do?

Has anyone took English Literature and got any advice, like what are the lessons like and what is the workload/homework like?

I’m thinking of taking it alongside History and Philosophy.
MindMax2000
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I took English Lit at AS Level before dropping out and doing Psychology instead.
I did pretty mediocre in it, but some people easily got As in it, so it depends on you as a person.

There's a lot of reading. That's not an overstatement by any means. I have done degrees after A Level, and they did not require me to do as much reading as I have done for English Lit.

In terms of difficulty, it's challenging, but not over the top difficult. If you're looking for an easy A, this isn't it.
On the other hand, I'm analytical and I don't get descriptive stuff or waffle very well. If you're very wordy and get what people descriptively say, this might suit you. My teachers can give me a 1000 word model answer, and I could get lost in picking out what they actually mean.

You will either need a head for it, or develop your thinking so well that you could think like a literature student would.

If the curriculum hasn't changed, A2 requires you to go out and read or watch plays to critically judge and analyse them. If you're not good with time, this might be challenging.

However, if you really enjoy literature and you can read 24/7, then yeah, go for it. I recommend you learn to speed read before doing so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (407)
56.14%
I don't have everything I need (318)
43.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed