UniofReadingPG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi Everyone,

I am a postgraduate student who currently lives in a postgraduate flat in Bridges Hall on the main (and very beautiful) Whiteknights Campus.

If anyone has any questions about accommodation at the University of Reading, please just ask. Particularly postgraduate applicants, who may be unsure about living in halls.

Have a good day!

Ed

MSc Psychology (Conversion) student
EmeraldSky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by UniofReadingPG)
Hi Everyone,

I am a postgraduate student who currently lives in a postgraduate flat in Bridges Hall on the main (and very beautiful) Whiteknights Campus.

If anyone has any questions about accommodation at the University of Reading, please just ask. Particularly postgraduate applicants, who may be unsure about living in halls.

Have a good day!

Ed

MSc Psychology (Conversion) student
Hello,

I will be coming to the University of Reading in September 2020 to do a PhD (I've already achieved the required grades to confirm my place). I've applied for accommodation in Halls but I'm still waiting to find out which specific Hall I've been allocated to (Bridges, St Georges or Childs/Stenton/Mackinder).

I have some questions about postgraduate accommodation:

1) On the accommodation website it says that they try to put postgraduate students together where possible. Do they distinguish between new Masters students (eg with 1 year projects) and new PhD students (eg with 3 year projects) or are they both just classed as 'postgraduates' and put together?

2) I know that all new students can live in Halls for the 1st year of their course. The accommodation website says that approximately 30% of rooms are kept for 'returner' students who want to live in halls during their 2nd year or 3rd year. Are these 'returner' rooms just for undergraduates or do some postgraduates also live in Halls for more than one year?

3) It also says that each Hall has a 'JCR' which organises social events for the students who live in that Hall. Is that just for undergraduates/ is there an equivalent for postgraduates?

Thanks
Last edited by EmeraldSky; 3 months ago
EmeraldSky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Does anyone (eg current postgraduates who lived in Halls) know the answer to my 3 questions above?
I've just accepted my accommodation offer for Bridges Hall, premium ensuite.
Sam_hi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by EmeraldSky)
Does anyone (eg current postgraduates who lived in Halls) know the answer to my 3 questions above?
I've just accepted my accommodation offer for Bridges Hall, premium ensuite.
Hello,

I'm also a 2rd year phd and have been stayed at the St. Patrick's Hall for almost 2 years. I can answer your questions based on my understanding.

1) During the last 2 years there were undergraduate and master students in my flat, so I guess they do not distinguish, but also maybe because I didn't ask them for it.

2) Yes, returners include PG students. I applied as an returner myself both last year and this year.

3) In my hall JCR is for everyone, so I guess it will be the same for other halls.

I hope these will help

Btw, because I will possibly go abroad for my project next year, I'm currently looking for someone to take over my 40-weeks hall contract starting from September (also St. Patrick's hall). If you happen to know anyone who might need it please message me, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.87%
I'm not sure (32)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.24%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.88%

Watched Threads