UniofReadingPG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi Everyone,

I am a postgraduate student who currently lives in a postgraduate flat in Bridges Hall on the main (and very beautiful) Whiteknights Campus.

If anyone has any questions about accommodation at the University of Reading, please just ask. Particularly postgraduate applicants, who may be unsure about living in halls.

Have a good day!

Ed

MSc Psychology (Conversion) student
EmeraldSky
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UniofReadingPG)
Hi Everyone,

I am a postgraduate student who currently lives in a postgraduate flat in Bridges Hall on the main (and very beautiful) Whiteknights Campus.

If anyone has any questions about accommodation at the University of Reading, please just ask. Particularly postgraduate applicants, who may be unsure about living in halls.

Have a good day!

Ed

Hello,

I will be coming to the University of Reading in September 2020 to do a PhD (I've already achieved the required grades to confirm my place). I've applied for accommodation in Halls but I'm still waiting to find out which specific Hall I've been allocated to (Bridges, St Georges or Childs/Stenton/Mackinder).

I have some questions about postgraduate accommodation:

1) On the accommodation website it says that they try to put postgraduate students together where possible. Do they distinguish between new Masters students (eg with 1 year projects) and new PhD students (eg with 3 year projects) or are they both just classed as 'postgraduates' and put together?

2) I know that all new students can live in Halls for the 1st year of their course. The accommodation website says that approximately 30% of rooms are kept for 'returner' students who want to live in halls during their 2nd year or 3rd year. Are these 'returner' rooms just for undergraduates or do some postgraduates also live in Halls for more than one year?

3) It also says that each Hall has a 'JCR' which organises social events for the students who live in that Hall. Is that just for undergraduates/ is there an equivalent for postgraduates?

Thanks
Last edited by EmeraldSky; 1 year ago
EmeraldSky
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does anyone (eg current postgraduates who lived in Halls) know the answer to my 3 questions above?
I've just accepted my accommodation offer for Bridges Hall, premium ensuite.
Sam_hi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EmeraldSky)
Does anyone (eg current postgraduates who lived in Halls) know the answer to my 3 questions above?
I've just accepted my accommodation offer for Bridges Hall, premium ensuite.
Hello,

I'm also a 2rd year phd and have been stayed at the St. Patrick's Hall for almost 2 years. I can answer your questions based on my understanding.

1) During the last 2 years there were undergraduate and master students in my flat, so I guess they do not distinguish, but also maybe because I didn't ask them for it.

2) Yes, returners include PG students. I applied as an returner myself both last year and this year.

3) In my hall JCR is for everyone, so I guess it will be the same for other halls.

I hope these will help

Btw, because I will possibly go abroad for my project next year, I'm currently looking for someone to take over my 40-weeks hall contract starting from September (also St. Patrick's hall). If you happen to know anyone who might need it please message me, thanks!
hollyb1999
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by UniofReadingPG)
Hi Everyone,

Have a good day!

Ed

Hi, I have a conditional offer to study Real Estate MSc and will be coming in September 2021- and I was wondering what most post graduate students do- do they find private accommodation with other postgrad students or do they go through halls?

I also wanted to know on the Reading accommodation website they say they don't have a postgraduate Halls but try to put you with other postgrad students, how likely is this to happen? As I wouldn't want to be put with freshers nothing against them but I know I need to concentrate.
Also is there a specific halls I should apply to as a post graduate student to increase my chances of getting one of these spots?

Thanks
EmeraldSky
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by hollyb1999)
Hi, I have a conditional offer to study Real Estate MSc and will be coming in September 2021- and I was wondering what most post graduate students do- do they find private accommodation with other postgrad students or do they go through halls?

I also wanted to know on the Reading accommodation website they say they don't have a postgraduate Halls but try to put you with other postgrad students, how likely is this to happen? As I wouldn't want to be put with freshers nothing against them but I know I need to concentrate.
Also is there a specific halls I should apply to as a post graduate student to increase my chances of getting one of these spots?

Thanks
Hi,

"Postgraduate student" refers to both Masters students and PhD students. A significant number of Masters students live in Halls - I am not sure if that is "most" Masters students but it is usual for many Masters students to live in Halls. It is less common for PhD students to live in halls but some do, especially first year PhD students. I am a first year PhD student living in Halls.

There is not a specific Hall purely for postgraduates but they tend to put postgraduates together in the same 'flat/corridor'. Students in the same 'flat/corridor' share a kitchen. It depends which Halls you apply to and which type of accommodation within that Hall. The person who replied to my previous question in this thread says that they were at St Patricks Hall and they had both postgraduates and undergraduates in their flat. I am at Bridges Hall and in my flat (of 8 people) there are only postgraduates (a mixture of Masters students and PhD students). I think at St Georges Hall they put postgraduates together in a block called Oakhurst.

I can comment about Bridges Hall in detail as that is where I live. There are 3 types of accommodation in Bridges which are: Premium ensuite, shared bathroom and townhouses. The different types are separated into different buildings called 'blocks' and the blocks are next to each other. There are Masters students and PhD students in all 3 types. Freshers are put in 'freshers-only' flats and postgraduates are put together with 'returning' undergraduates (2nd year and 3rd year). In the 'shared bathroom' blocks, the majority of students are freshers but there are also some postgraduates and returning undergraduates. In the 'premium ensuite' block, the majority of students are postgraduates but there are some returning undergraduates and a small number of freshers. I am in the premium ensuite block and my flat contains only Masters students and PhD students (but there are two 'freshers-only' flats in that block too).

If you apply for Halls, you can tick a box to request a "quieter-lifestyle" flat which means you will be put with students who aren't loud and are less likely to have parties etc. On the form, there is also a section at the bottom where you can type any requests/special requirements - I wrote that I would prefer to be with other postgraduates rather than undergraduates. I think that is why my flat is 'postgraduate-only' (whereas other premium ensuite flats at Bridges have some 'returning undergraduates' alongside postgraduates).

(On the accommodation website, there is a '3D tour' of a premium ensuite room BUT that is for Childs/Stenton/Mackinder - the premium ensuite rooms at Bridges look different and are bigger.)
Last edited by EmeraldSky; 10 months ago
EmeraldSky
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
In addition to my answer above, I have just seen in a different thread that somebody called Abbie wrote this:

"In terms of halls, I lived in Bridges Townhouses for my Masters year and I loved it. You live in a house of 12, share a bathroom with one other person and the kitchen is on the ground floor. I was housed with other postgrads, both Home and International and it was a great mix, and meant I didn't have to live with freshers. It's on campus and about a 10 minute walk from the library. All accommodation is inclusive on bills, has a security patrol and onsite reception, parcel and laundry facilities. I've also lived in Stenton Townhouses which are very similar and popular with postgrads. They're a 5-10 minute walk to the library and you share a kitchen between 8-10 people. I lived in Mackinder as a fresher and really liked the en-suite room with a 4-foot double bed. Postgrads live there too, and usually in groups with other older students."
UniofReadingPG
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by hollyb1999)

Thanks
Hi hollyb1999

I'm not the original author of this thread, but I'm happy to answer your question! I'm a student here and have lived in several of the halls.

I lived in Bridges Townhouses in my masters year, it was a great experience and I would recommend. Through the application process you are asked if you are a postgraduate student, and that means that they can more easily group you into living with people in a similar situation. I lived in a townhouse with masters students, a PhD student and one undergraduate student who was older than the average fresher. You share a bathroom with one other person, kitchen is spacious on the ground floor and there is a big dining table for work and eating, as well as sofas. Because we were all older (I was the youngest at 21) there was a shared respect that we were busy people, so where I lived was pretty quiet, especially at night. Obviously there is residual noise from outside but that quietens down and there is great soundproofing, so I wasn't bothered. As well as this, during your application you can request a 'quieter lifestyle area', which means you will be placed with others who want a quieter flat for whatever reason, so that would also be a good idea. There are postgrads scattered throughout all types of halls living together, but I would personally recommend these:

Bridges Townhouses - 12 students per house, quiet, nice common area and share a bathroom with one other (single gender bathrooms), short walk into campus
Stenton Townhouses - same as Bridges but with 4ft double beds and the other side of campus, but short walk into the centre
St Georges - located about a 5 minute walk from the edge of campus, quiet and cheaper halls, both en-suite and shared bathroom options
Mackinder/Childs/Stenton Halls - traditional corridor style flats, newest, with en-suite and 4ft double bed, closest to centre of campus

I lived in Mackinder as a fresher and had a great time, but I know postgrads live there too grouped together, but it will be a bit more noisy!

You can live outside campus in private accommodation, most live within a 20 minute walk, as car parking is heavily reliant on getting a permit in Reading. There are several privately owned halls of residence, such as Kendrick Halls which are run by an external company. They are about a 20 minute walk from campus though, so its important to bear that in mind. Private housing is plentiful as the uni has been around a long time, so finding a room in a house share would not be difficult.

Overall, the uni will try its best to pair you with other postgrads, but bear in mind that some may decide to not attend or move in, so that room will be offered to the next person on the waiting list, which may be a fresher. The system isn't perfect, but requesting a quieter lifestyle room should get you the peace you need! I'd apply as soon as you can for peace of mind, but I got my first choice and I applied early.

Hope this has helped! Happy to answer any more questions you have

Abbie
UniofReadingPG
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by EmeraldSky)
In addition to my answer above, I have just seen in a different thread that somebody called Abbie wrote this:

"In terms of halls, I lived in Bridges Townhouses for my Masters year and I loved it. You live in a house of 12, share a bathroom with one other person and the kitchen is on the ground floor. I was housed with other postgrads, both Home and International and it was a great mix, and meant I didn't have to live with freshers. It's on campus and about a 10 minute walk from the library. All accommodation is inclusive on bills, has a security patrol and onsite reception, parcel and laundry facilities. I've also lived in Stenton Townhouses which are very similar and popular with postgrads. They're a 5-10 minute walk to the library and you share a kitchen between 8-10 people. I lived in Mackinder as a fresher and really liked the en-suite room with a 4-foot double bed. Postgrads live there too, and usually in groups with other older students."
Hi!

Yes I'm Abbie, I've recently taken over as a rep here so I did not realise this thread had been left unattended, so sorry about that!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (27)
60%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (6)
13.33%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (5)
11.11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
2.22%
I haven't started researching yet (2)
4.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
8.89%

Watched Threads