The Student Room Group

Will Vet schools accept Animal Management Extended Diploma ?

Hello. I was wondering if someone could help. I am about to embark on a two year BTEC Animal Management course with a view to applying for a place at Bristol University, in order to study Gateway Veterinary Science in 2022.

I see from the entry requirements at Bristol, that Animal Management BTEC is a valid qualification for 2020 admissions. However, I note that for 2021 admissions the same BTEC is missing online from the entry requirements. I also noticed that Liverpool will no longer be accepting Animal Management from 2021. However London have not stated removing the subject.

I do so hope that this is a small oversight and that Bristol will accept students with the BTEC Animal management Extended Diploma which is equivalent to 3 A levels.

Ps- did BTEC change from 2016? I noticed there is Animal Management 2010 and 2016 and it seems to be the case that 2016 is not a valid qualification for Bristol? Have I got this all wrong and am I worrying over nothing?

Please help.

Thank you for your time.

James
There won't be anyone on here who can give you a definite answer to this. The best thing you can do would be to email the admissions department and ask them directly. Bear in mind that the university, like everyone, is under a lot of strain given the current global situation so it might take a while to get a reply.
Reply 2
Hello.Thank you for your reply.I contacted Bristol this week and waiting for a response, but I thought I would ask on this forum too.Many thanks.James
Reply 3
If u haven’t already started a btec would not be easier to embark on a levels? Every vet school accepts these and it’s hard enough getting one offer for veterinary with four choices rather than limiting yourself with a btec 😊
Original post by MrJamesH
Hello.Thank you for your reply.I contacted Bristol this week and waiting for a response, but I thought I would ask on this forum too.Many thanks.James

Sorry to jump on your post, especially as I can’t give you any definite answers. I was just wondering if you’d had a reply from Bristol at all? I’be just completed my first year of the same course and also want to apply for vet med!
Reply 5
Original post by AnonAlicee
Sorry to jump on your post, especially as I can’t give you any definite answers. I was just wondering if you’d had a reply from Bristol at all? I’be just completed my first year of the same course and also want to apply for vet med!

Hello. I did get a reply last week saying they would accept animal management for the 5 year course, but they diddnt quite answer my question about the 6 year gateway course. The website says it doesnt so I have no idea. Good luck with your studies.
Reply 6
Original post by ASHWHS
If u haven’t already started a btec would not be easier to embark on a levels? Every vet school accepts these and it’s hard enough getting one offer for veterinary with four choices rather than limiting yourself with a btec 😊

No because I'm 25 and my college only accepts 16-19 for A Levels
I would recommend switching to a different college/private exams centre and sitting A levels

Many of the universities that previously supported BTECs in animal management and similar have changed this recently and no longer do so - A levels guarantees you a far stronger application, if veterinary medicine is your goal you will have to work on it (and perhaps part of that work can be finding a centre that allows you to take the required A levels)
Original post by MrJamesH
Hello. I did get a reply last week saying they would accept animal management for the 5 year course, but they diddnt quite answer my question about the 6 year gateway course. The website says it doesnt so I have no idea. Good luck with your studies.

Thank you!!
Original post by TheWannabeFarmer
I would recommend switching to a different college/private exams centre and sitting A levels

Many of the universities that previously supported BTECs in animal management and similar have changed this recently and no longer do so - A levels guarantees you a far stronger application, if veterinary medicine is your goal you will have to work on it (and perhaps part of that work can be finding a centre that allows you to take the required A levels)

Do you know why this?
I understand that BTECs aren’t considered as hard as A levels, and I also understand that they might not go as in depth as Bio and chem A levels but they also provide a lot of practical skills and animal-specific knowledge...
Original post by AnonAlicee
Do you know why this?
I understand that BTECs aren’t considered as hard as A levels, and I also understand that they might not go as in depth as Bio and chem A levels but they also provide a lot of practical skills and animal-specific knowledge...

If I was to guess it would be because they consider those specific A levels at grades AA to mean applicants have a minimum standard of ability - as in if they can cope with working hard to get those grades then they will do ok in vet school. To be honest A levels can be smashed with a solid work ethic even with limited understanding (I think I'm the perfect example, hated chemistry, don't understand chemistry and have never used it since A level)

But then they clearly did consider the BTEC similar as they allowed them also until recently so not sure?
Ask the uni's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending