The Student Room Group

Exercise for unfit person

What exercise to lose fat would you recommend for a person who is not very sporty. I tried running but can’t do it for long and various home workouts build my muscle but I’m not sure if they are useful with fat loss.

Thanks in advance
I found this onlineScreenshot_20200515-143326_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Original post by holly6901
I found this onlineScreenshot_20200515-143326_Chrome-compressed.jpg.jpeg

That’s good to know! I think I’ll combine something as therapeutic as yoga or pilates with jogging to start off with! Thanks 😊
You could try just walking at a fast pace for a while, then progress into adding segments of jogging to your walk, eventually you should be able to jog for longer periods.

For example:
Week 1: Fast paced walking for 30mins
Week 2: Fast paced walking for 1hour
Week 3: Fast paced walking with 5 minute segments of jogging throughout the hour.
Week 4: Fast paced walking with 10 minute segments of jogging throughout the hour.

Obviously add in breaks as/when needed.

Just keep trying to progress until you get to where you want to be.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by --Student
You could try just walking at a fast pace for a while, then progress into adding segments of jogging to your walk, eventually you should be able to jog for longer periods.

For example:
Week 1: Fast paced walking for 30mins
Week 2: Fast paced walking for 1hour
Week 3: Fast paced walking with 5 minute segments of jogging throughout the hour.
Week 4: Fast paced walking with 10 minute segments of jogging throughout the hour.

Just keep trying to progress until you get to where you want to be.

Brilliant advice! Would you recommend this daily, I’m guessing?😊
Original post by Top_Lad
Brilliant advice! Would you recommend this daily, I’m guessing?😊

Well you can do it at your own pace, depending on your own fitness goal.
Also with any workout it's good to have rest days so I wouldn't do this every single day, at least not at the start.
You could have 'rest' days where you simply walk at your own pace for 30 minutes to 1 hour and get in your daily exercise that way.

Quick Reply

Latest