The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Will we be put in contact with the people in our accommodation and on our courses?

I'M set to start at Reading this year (results permitting), and I have a few friends who have been put into contact with those in their accommodation and on their courses and I was wondering if/when this will happen? With the lockdown, now seems like it would be a great time to start a conversation with the people we'll be spending the next three years with.
Original post by Anonymous
I'M set to start at Reading this year (results permitting), and I have a few friends who have been put into contact with those in their accommodation and on their courses and I was wondering if/when this will happen? With the lockdown, now seems like it would be a great time to start a conversation with the people we'll be spending the next three years with.

Hey!

Generally speaking the University won't put you directly in contact with anyone. However there are numerous Facebook groups where you can start getting to know some of the people you'll meet. Here is the link for the general 2020 entrants one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/221676942314530/?ref=pages_profile_groups_tab&source_id=100226310084172
On here you may find posts from people on your course about group chats you can join and similar for your University halls. If not feel free to make a post on the group and set one up yourself!
In addition each halls has its own Facebook group which you could join and again often people will have made group chats for specific buildings or even flats within this group. If you search the name of your halls you should be able to find this, I also seem to remember getting sent a link to join this Facebook group closer to moving in time.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please ask!

Zoe
First year Biological Sciences and student ambassador
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,
Last year we had a general group for all applicant that I think the official university account has linked. We also had a halls JCR page on Facebook that the university created. But this wasn't created until nearer when we started. A lot of halls before the university made official pages made Facebook messenger groups through the main freshers page. Also once our JCR page was up, the second years that where on our JCR set up a group chat for us, so they could answer any of our questions and it was great because we got to know them a bit before we moved in.
Some courses created group chats, but again these weren't created or run by the university, but it was a great way to find people who lived in your hall and were. also on your course. But generally these only get really active and useful once you've started at uni, and you need help finding things, and with assignments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending