first year at uni and organising notes

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Any advice on how to organise notes at uni?
Maybe a thin folder for every module? ( I will be studying zoology)
cheesecakelove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
When I was at uni, I used to have a general paper pad for note taking at classes. When I got home, I would write up the notes in conjunction with the lecture slides I would review online. I used a file for each module to keep things organised, which would include the notes and notes I had made from wider reading.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally I liked exercise books or pukka pads. 1 for each module.
I would then keep everything in synchronous order easily.
I would put at the top of every page:
date & tiutle so for example: 12/5/20 - Lecture 4 week 2 - Stripes on Zebras

I found that with a physcial bound book its much easier to keep organised logically, scraps of paper in a folder just get lost or mixed up to the point of being useless.
bits.of.bio
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had one notebook which I wrote everything in. Had a different colour for each module so I didn't get mixed up. And when the lecture was written up I would put it in those paper folders with a flap (also the same colour as the notes, 1 per module). These stayed at home unless I was doing an assignment on the module which needed them bringing in. This way I only had to carry 1 notebook not multiple folders/notebooks and no risk of things getting spilled on etc.
I also can't recommend enough copying and pasting lecture slides notes onto a word document/one note file for the whole moduel, Ctrl+F has saved me hours of searching through paper.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

I personally take notes on my laptop and organise them on Google Drive into folders. If I do use paper though, I organise it into the different modules using the plastic dividers in one big folder as I don't use paper notes much at all. If you use paper notes a lot more than I do and you take notes on your laptop and print them off, maybe one small folder per module is a good idea instead of big ones as it is easier to store.

Hope this helps!
Erin - Official Student Rep
Fermion.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had one notebook where I took rough notes in during lectures, then I came home and did my proper revision and note taking and then put them into folders. I had a lever arch for my main big module and ring binders for my smaller modules.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

I'm a current biological sciences student ad most of my modules are zoology based. I also have a disability which affects my ability to write on paper and to type for a long period of time! But I found that using the lecture slides before hand to create notes on my laptop incredibly beneficial. It meant I would go into a lecture already knowing what to expect, and would be able to add any extra information the lecturer gave very easily, my notes were neat, colour coded and organised which had i written them all in the lecture would not have been the case!

Use the first term as a time to get your note taking method down, experiment with the best method for you

I hope this helps!

Zoe
First year Biological sciences and student ambassador
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had different notebooks, 1 for each module and 1 spare for other things. It keeps things simple and can always access older notes in lectures
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

I had a lever arch file, with dividers for each module. I used to print out the lecture slides as handouts and write the notes on them, then put them in the folder. This way both my lecture notes and seminar notes were all together in chronological order. Another option is to make all your notes on a laptop, and have them digitally available.

Zaira
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (88)
26.51%
England (110)
33.13%
Belgium (27)
8.13%
Germany (39)
11.75%
Spain (7)
2.11%