anniegarnerr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I’ve decided to change my plans for September and I really want to go to uni in September and study History of Art.

I know I’ve missed the 15th January deadline but also seen that some universities still accept late applications and can be dependent on the course as high demand course such as medicine will obviously be full.

I would like to see if anyone has experience is applying late and if I should contact unis first to see if they are accepting late applications or if this would be a waste of time.

So far I’m looking at Manchester, Bristol and Leeds. I don’t know if anyone else has applying late at either of these or know if they’ll accept my application.

Considering current circumstances I don’t know if unis might be more lenient, especially as international students won’t be coming this year.

Any help would be great thanks ))
Tinders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Another option you could take is to apply through clearing. I'm not entirely sure how it works but if you apply after 30th of June (I think) unis will consider your application in clearing, and if your choices don't take you, if your grades are good, somebody will.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by anniegarnerr)
So I’ve decided to change my plans for September and I really want to go to uni in September and study History of Art.

I know I’ve missed the 15th January deadline but also seen that some universities still accept late applications and can be dependent on the course as high demand course such as medicine will obviously be full.

I would like to see if anyone has experience is applying late and if I should contact unis first to see if they are accepting late applications or if this would be a waste of time.

So far I’m looking at Manchester, Bristol and Leeds. I don’t know if anyone else has applying late at either of these or know if they’ll accept my application.

Considering current circumstances I don’t know if unis might be more lenient, especially as international students won’t be coming this year.

Most universities accept late applicants. The big question is whether they have spaces for your course. Normally it is best to ring and speak to the university but at the moment most wont be answering. You could try emailing or just applying. The time is getting close so my gut feeling would be to email them but if they havent replied by this time next week I would apply anyway. In the meantime get your personal statement and reference ready.

Nobody knows what grades universities will accept this year. They are only going to accept 5% extra UK students so I doubt they will vary greatly from previous years.
anniegarnerr
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Most universities accept late applicants. The big question is whether they have spaces for your course. Normally it is best to ring and speak to the university but at the moment most wont be answering. You could try emailing or just applying. The time is getting close so my gut feeling would be to email them but if they havent replied by this time next week I would apply anyway. In the meantime get your personal statement and reference ready.

Nobody knows what grades universities will accept this year. They are only going to accept 5% extra UK students so I doubt they will vary greatly from previous years.
That’s for your help! I have emailed them and hoping I’ll get some replied some time next week. Think I’m just gonna go for it then and hope for the best.
ettif23
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hiya,
Yes I applied for UCL via UCAS Extra, I emailed first and they were very efficient and really lovely. The thing with Extra is you can still (usually) be considered for guaranteed first year accommodation because unlike clearing, you fit into the timescale.
If you haven't already done a personal statement and looked at courses, I would ASAP because a lot of accommodation and finance deadlines are coming up.
With UCAS Extra as well you can only apply for one uni at a time until one accepts you, so you'd need to know your first choice.
anniegarnerr
Rep:
?
(Original post by ettif23)
Hiya,
Yes I applied for UCL via UCAS Extra, I emailed first and they were very efficient and really lovely. The thing with Extra is you can still (usually) be considered for guaranteed first year accommodation because unlike clearing, you fit into the timescale.
If you haven't already done a personal statement and looked at courses, I would ASAP because a lot of accommodation and finance deadlines are coming up.
With UCAS Extra as well you can only apply for one uni at a time until one accepts you, so you'd need to know your first choice.
Sadly I can’t use UCAS extra as I haven’t already made any applications.

I’m scared if I manage to get a place via either late application or through clearing that I won’t be able to get any good accommodation
ettif23
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sadly I can’t use UCAS extra as I haven’t already made any applications.

I’m scared if I manage to get a place via either late application or through clearing that I won’t be able to get any good accommodation
Ahh I see.
And that is a thing I worry about to if I end up going through clearing. I just think that, there are so many students who go through clearing and I know so many who are happy. Bad accommodation is a thing in uni, and it's not just for clearing/late applicants too u know, and it's only for what, 39 weeks if that considering we might be starting later hope this helps
anniegarnerr
Rep:
?
Ahh I see.
And that is a thing I worry about to if I end up going through clearing. I just think that, there are so many students who go through clearing and I know so many who are happy. Bad accommodation is a thing in uni, and it's not just for clearing/late applicants too u know, and it's only for what, 39 weeks if that considering we might be starting later hope this helps
Very true. I guess more accommodation might become available after results because not everyone will get in so might they have more options then idk.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Apply now not in clearing. Students who have firmed get first choice on accommodation usually then insurance then clearing. Because you have not applied extra doesnt apply to you so you can still have your 5 choices in the usual way. If they are all rejected then you can use extra if before end of June then clearing after. You cannot usually apply for accommodation unless you have firmed that university. Insurance applicants only get accommodation when they are accepted then clearing. Please be aware of the problems for accommodation for clearing applicants in Bristol last year. 25 were offered accommodation in Newport 31 miles away and 40 in the veterinary college 16 miles away because of the lack of rooms in Bristol university.
anniegarnerr
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Apply now not in clearing. Students who have firmed get first choice on accommodation usually then insurance then clearing. Because you have not applied extra doesnt apply to you so you can still have your 5 choices in the usual way. If they are all rejected then you can use extra if before end of June then clearing after. You cannot usually apply for accommodation unless you have firmed that university. Insurance applicants only get accommodation when they are accepted then clearing. Please be aware of the problems for accommodation for clearing applicants in Bristol last year. 25 were offered accommodation in Newport 31 miles away and 40 in the veterinary college 16 miles away because of the lack of rooms in Bristol university.
Thanks for all of that. Also had no idea about Bristol!! That’s awful😧
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...wport-16901097
anniegarnerr
Rep:
?
Omg imagine
pazl2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hiya,
Hi! Do you mind sharing what course you applied for?
student424
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Contact the unis. They may have spaces. Good luck!
UoB - Arts and Law
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Hello!

I hope you don't mind me sharing some (hopefully helpful) information. I know its a particularly tricky time to be making decisions about the future, so hopefully this well help you with some of the questions you mentioned above.

Obviously it varies for each University but I can confirm that the University of Birmingham are still accepting applications to our BA History of Art programme. Although the Jan 15th deadline has passed any applications made at this time will still receive equal consideration as those made before the deadline.

You also mentioned worries over being allocated accommodation. We do not allocate accommodation on a first come first served basis, it's allocated randomly after results day, so everyone has an equal chance of getting one of their choices. Additionally, if you apply and are made an offer before July 31st you would be covered under the freshers guarantee scheme, which guarantees you a bed space in one of our own halls or partner accommodation. You don't even have to have picked your firm/insurance choices yet, as long as you have an offer you can apply for accommodation.

In terms of preparing for University study, we have also just released a series of recommendations from our academic staff which should help you to start thinking about the study of Art History and bridge the gap between A Level and University level study. This resource might also be helpful in terms of thinking about your personal statement, wherever you decide to apply.

If you have any more questions feel free to send me a PM and I will do my best to help!

Best of luck for your future studies,

Molly
paulastamp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Just go onto the university's websites - choose the course you want and it will normally tell you if applications for September intake are full or not. Also, most universities have a 'Live Chat' service at the moment, so you could always ask any questions you have on there.
ettif23
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pazl2)
Hi! Do you mind sharing what course you applied for?
Yeh, history and politics of the American (year abroad) . Sorry for the late reply I have only just been back on the student room
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.86%
I'm not sure (31)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
32.08%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.26%
I'm not a current university student (313)
47.14%

Watched Threads