How good are the automotive engineering programs at Oxford Brookes and Coventry?

Watch
rektagain27
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey everyone, I've heard mixed reviews about these two unis, but these are the only two I can realistically afford as an international applicant. How good are these for automotive engineering? Are they amongst the best in the UK?
GS_Banker
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Among the best in UK? No. These are no target schools at all. However, I´m not able to answer how descent they are. Everything's relative depending on your grades economy etc.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by rektagain27)
Hey everyone, I've heard mixed reviews about these two unis, but these are the only two I can realistically afford as an international applicant. How good are these for automotive engineering? Are they amongst the best in the UK?
There is someone on here with good knowledge of this area. Muttley79 can you advise on this.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes Oxford Brookes has a renowned Engineering degree. It is a target uni for F1 and has great industry links. They take part in Formula Student, an International competition, and are the mot successful university in the UK.

Coventry is good but Oxford is a much nicer place to study.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
There is someone on here with good knowledge of this area. Muttley79 can you advise on this.
Thanks for the tag
rektagain27
Rep:
?
(Original post by GS_Banker)
Among the best in UK? No. These are no target schools at all. However, I´m not able to answer how descent they are. Everything's relative depending on your grades economy etc.
Thanks for the info
rektagain27
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Yes Oxford Brookes has a renowned Engineering degree. It is a target uni for F1 and has great industry links. They take part in Formula Student, an International competition, and are the mot successful university in the UK.

Coventry is good but Oxford is a much nicer place to study.
About Oxford Brookes, I heard that their formula student division was a bit of a friends club, closed to outsiders. Is this true?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
About Oxford Brookes, I heard that their formula student division was a bit of a friends club, closed to outsiders. Is this true?
Not true - the personnel change every year as people graduate ...
V1ct0r
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by GS_Banker)
I study electronic engineering at Brookes and I must say this is untrue. Both Brookes and Coventry offer the best automotive engineering degrees in the UK, along with Bath, Loughborough, Warwick, and Hertfordshire and they are target universities for many F1 teams and car companies. And they are renowned across the world too. For example, Oxford Brookes Racing is one of the most successful student engineering teams in the world in Formula Student (google this please). We also have, many smart Indians, Koreans, and Japanese doing Msc in motorsports / mechanical engineering and they got their bachelors from the respective top engineering schools in their countries, like IIT.

Also, I've seen an american who got a job offer back home due to his automotive engineering degree from Coventry.

Even for me, I've had a few people messaging me on LinkedIn for network engineering and operations manager roles without me getting in touch with anyone so I believe the university I go to must be very good.
Last edited by V1ct0r; 3 months ago
V1ct0r
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Where did you even hear this lol. It's actually the opposite! they welcome everyone, even those without experiences but obviously, you need to be capable to be given tasks. But if you are confident that you can do something that you think will help the team, just tell any lead and they will give you tasks, and the more tasks you do, the more you will be given, and the more opportunities will be open to you.

When I first joined oxford brookes racing autonomous, I was merely a kid who had nothing but enthusiasm. I just told them I wanted to do programming, electronics and graphic design, and now here I am, an Integration team lead, who is also involved in writing an image processing algorithm in python, and designs posters, newsletters, flyers, and presentations for the team.

Do what you are interested in, and work hard, don't be shy to express it, and opportunities will come to you.
rektagain27
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by V1ct0r)
I study electronic engineering at Brookes and I must say this is untrue. Both Brookes and Coventry offer the best automotive engineering degrees in the UK, along with Bath, Loughborough, Warwick, and Hertfordshire and they are target universities for many F1 teams and car companies. And they are renowned across the world too. For example, Oxford Brookes Racing is one of the most successful student engineering teams in the world in Formula Student (google this please). We also have, many smart Indians, Koreans, and Japanese doing Msc in motorsports / mechanical engineering and they got their bachelors from the respective top engineering schools in their countries, like IIT.

Also, I've seen an american who got a job offer back home due to his automotive engineering degree from Coventry.

Even for me, I've had a few people messaging me on LinkedIn for network engineering and operations manager roles without me getting in touch with anyone so I believe the university I go to must be very good.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated
Loughborough University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi rektagain27,

If you are interested in exploring other university options, we are running our June Open Days virtually this year. Sign up and come along, there will be loads of staff and students on hand to answer any questions you have about automotive engineering and also fees/funding.

Best Wishes,
Emily
161BMW
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Where did you go in the end ? What did you do your Undergrad in and where at ?
161BMW
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Brookes and Coventry are both quite well known in automotive or motorsport. I would include Loughborough, Southampton, University of Hertfordshire, University of Bath, Brunel, Cambridge, Oxford and Imperial College too for Engineering. They do not all offer automotive or motorsport engineering though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (9)
17.31%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (14)
26.92%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
5.77%
No, I haven't received any communication (26)
50%

Watched Threads