A levels in comparison to Leaving Certificate

Watch
ogsorcha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I’m currently living in the uk and I sat my A levels last year where I achieved A*AA in sociology philosophy and German. I deferred my entry to the university of Nottingham to apply for modern European studies in September 2020. However during my year out it became apparent that I truly wanted to study at trinity college Dublin.
The application process seems to be the only thing which I stopping me from studying there. For me to achieve the points I need, I needed to have either taken 4 A levels or combine 3 A levels with an AS level in a different subject from the year before.
If you’re from the UK you would know that not many people actually take 4 A levels nor must you have to in order to be considered a high achieving student, as we are usually judged purely on our 3 A levels. Furthermore AS levels are no longer a part of the A level qualification and this was put in place before I even began studying at A level. What I’m trying to understand is how I am supposed to meet the entry requirements when it wasn’t possible for me to have taken AS levels and even though my 3 A levels are seen as high achieving by UCAS, they don’t make the cut under the Irish scoring system.
Does anyone know if this is out of date? Or know of a way I can get my points up?
Thank you!
Last edited by ogsorcha; 5 months ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ogsorcha)
So I’m currently living in the uk and I sat my A levels last year where I achieved A*AA in sociology philosophy and German. I deferred my entry to the university of Nottingham to apply for modern European studies in September 2020. However during my year out it became apparent that I truly wanted to study at trinity college Dublin.
The application process seems to be the only thing which I stopping me from studying there. For me to achieve the points I need, I needed to have either taken 4 A levels or combine 3 A levels with an AS level in a different subject from the year before.
If you’re from the UK you would know that not many people actually take 4 A levels nor must you have to in order to be considered a high achieving student, as we are usually judged purely on our 3 A levels. Furthermore AS levels are no longer a part of the A level qualification and this was put in place before I even began studying at A level. What I’m trying to understand is how I am supposed to meet the entry requirements when it wasn’t possible for me to have taken AS levels and even though my 3 A levels are seen as high achieving by UCAS, they don’t make the cut under the Irish scoring system.
Does anyone know if this is out of date? Or know of a way I can get my points up?
Thank you!
U mean for 2020? Talk to Trinity.
2021, then do an AS.
ogsorcha
Rep:
?
The new reform meant that instead of taking AS levels in the first year of college, we do more A level exams at the end of the 2 years. So it isn't just as simple to take an AS level. I would have to wait until 2021 anyway because I didn't finalise my application due to this.
Meememe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ogsorcha)
Thank you!
Hi there , I can’t help you but as someone considering applying there how did you convert your Alevel results into CAO points ?
ogsorcha
Rep:
?
There is a table on the CAO website and on trinity’s too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (64)
14.75%
I'm not sure (16)
3.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (146)
33.64%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.61%
I'm not a current university student (201)
46.31%

Watched Threads