Anonymous2467
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm considering both history and biology a level as my third option however i don't really like writing essays as I feel like they are a bit subjective and i don't really know how to revise history as i only really revised a couple of days before my mocks but i got an 8. my other options are chemistry and economics so history would compliment economics better than biology. Should I take history at A-level or would this be a mistake as I enjoy learning history more than biology but i don't like the exam style of history .
Possibly this
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Exam technique can be learnt, passion for a subject can't. So I say you might as well go for History here.
Mobitela
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous2467)
I'm considering both history and biology a level as my third option however i don't really like writing essays as I feel like they are a bit subjective and i don't really know how to revise history as i only really revised a couple of days before my mocks but i got an 8. my other options are chemistry and economics so history would compliment economics better than biology. Should I take history at A-level or would this be a mistake as I enjoy learning history more than biology but i don't like the exam style of history.
What parts of history do you enjoy more than biology? Is it the note taking and reading the textbooks? More than experiments? At A level, I've found that the main component of my history lessons and revision is reading textbooks, and historical sources, and taking notes from them. Throughout the school term in history, you get examined through essays, whereas in Biology you are tested through topic tests. So, if you don't like writing essays, then maybe history isn't for you. (Economics also has essays throughout it as well.)
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Writing essays is a big part of the exams. Revising history can be learnt so don't worry about it. It depends if you enjoy biology as well
Anonymous2467
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Writing essays is a big part of the exams. Revising history can be learnt so don't worry about it. It depends if you enjoy biology as well
I do enjoy biology but i just prefer history.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous2467)
I do enjoy biology but i just prefer history.
Maybe try out a level history and if you don’t think it’s worth continuing, switch to a level biology
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Depends what you want to do after A levels. I’d probably do bio tho as bio+chem is v facilitating
SineadH0312
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I personally really enjoy history and had a similar situation to you where at GCSEs I didn't revise until shortly before the exam and still achieved an 8. However, a lot of focus is on essays at A level history and if you don't enjoy essay writing, you may struggle. I know that at my sixth form, we write on average an essay a week so that we can revise from them, we especially do a lot of 20 mark questions. There also aren't any short mark exam questions in the exam to break it up and each exam is a fairly long time for someone who does not enjoy essay writing. You could decide on either biology or history and if you don't enjoy what you are doing in the first week, you could switch subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (210)
38.53%
Take autumn exams (164)
30.09%
Look for a job (19)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.04%
Take a year out (97)
17.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.06%

Watched Threads