jadarose
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Which universities allow students to transfer into medicine from biomedicine? I know the University of Plymouth and St George's do.

Thanks
St George's, University of London
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi jadarose,

Yes, here at St. George's we have a program that allows you to move from Biomedical Science to the 2nd year of grad med/3rd year of undergrad med (undergrad and postgrad med are combined from these years onward). I thought I'd pop in and give you a bit more info on our scheme.

So, in order to qualify for the transfer program, you have to get over 66/67% in years 1 and 2. If you achieve this, in the summer of 2nd year, you'll be invited for an interview which will be in the form of an MMI. If you're successful, you'll spend the 3rd year of your first degree studying Clinical Bioscience, designed to bridge the gap between biomed and med. You'll be made an offer of if you achieve a 2:1 or above, you'll be given a place in the Graduate Entry Program, second year.

George's also equips you very well for even if you don't get a place on the transfer program - many people from St George's go on to successfully study grad med from the start, whether at George's or elsewhere.

Hope that's helpful, let me know if you have any more questions about our program.
Best Wishes,
Lauren
2nd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
jadarose
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by St George's, University of London)
Hi jadarose,

Hope that's helpful, let me know if you have any more questions about our program.
Best Wishes,
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep
Thank you Lauren. Do you know what the grade requirements are for the Biomedical Science course? I looked on the website but it didn't mention grades
Keels25
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm not sure whether you are Year 12/13 but I just wanted to warn you that although there are universities that do this (I think Exeter Medical Sciences also does this), it is very competitive as many others will want to do the same thing, and if you are not successful at interview you will still have to finish the biomed course and probably end up applying to graduate entry medicine (GEM) anyway. If you know you really want to do medicine, you are better off taking a gap year and reapplying to standard entry medicine with a stronger application (if you've been unable to get a place for med this year). Otherwise, if you are in Year 12, it might be a good idea to put a biomed course that has opportunity for transfer to medicine as your fifth choice (indeed if you miss your grades by some margin and are not confident you can get AAA by resitting, it might provide a backup that would be less time consuming than applying for GEM after fully graduating from a biomed course).
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jadarose)
Thank you Lauren. Do you know what the grade requirements are for the Biomedical Science course? I looked on the website but it didn't mention grades
In terms of A Levels, the standard offer is ABB including biology and chemistry. You can find more information about the entry requirements here.

Hope that helps!
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Keels25)
I'm not sure whether you are Year 12/13 but I just wanted to warn you that although there are universities that do this (I think Exeter Medical Sciences also does this), it is very competitive as many others will want to do the same thing, and if you are not successful at interview you will still have to finish the biomed course and probably end up applying to graduate entry medicine (GEM) anyway. If you know you really want to do medicine, you are better off taking a gap year and reapplying to standard entry medicine with a stronger application (if you've been unable to get a place for med this year). Otherwise, if you are in Year 12, it might be a good idea to put a biomed course that has opportunity for transfer to medicine as your fifth choice (indeed if you miss your grades by some margin and are not confident you can get AAA by resitting, it might provide a backup that would be less time consuming than applying for GEM after fully graduating from a biomed course).
Keels25 jadarose

Hi, just wanted to clarify: the entry for medicine is always competitive no matter what route you take, but at George's in terms of interviews to offers ratio the transfer route is actually less competitive than undergrad med or grad med. If you get the grades to study medicine but are unsuccessful in another part of your application, it's better to apply through clearing or take a year out and apply again with a stronger application, but if you do miss your grades by some margin then Biomed with the aim to transfer to med could be perfect for you.

Hope that's helpful!
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep
mischamoo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jadarose)
Which universities allow students to transfer into medicine from biomedicine? I know the University of Plymouth and St George's do.

Thanks
The university of Bradford offers a transfer to Sheffield Medical school. So does Sheffield Hallam (Website: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...idening-access ). I also think the University of Newcastle offers something similar.
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by mischamoo)
The university of Bradford offers a transfer to Sheffield Medical school. So does Sheffield Hallam (Website: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine...idening-access ). I also think the University of Newcastle offers something similar.
Hi jadarose,

As the article shared says, The University of Sheffield will accept applications onto their Year 1 of our A100 MBChB programme if you meet .

It states: 'We will consider for entry to Year 1 of our A100 MBChB programme UCAS applications from Home/EU students from Widening Participation backgrounds who have completed the first year of the Biomedical Science with a Foundation Year Course (UCAS Code A049) or Year 1 of the BSc Biomedical Sciences (UCAS Code B940) at Sheffield Hallam University.

Applicants from these two courses should apply to us via UCAS once they have their end-of-year results, and no later than 1st July 2021.

Please note that we do not accept other Foundation or Access courses not listed on these webpages. We will not normally consider applications from students in Year 2 of the Sheffield Hallam University Biomedical Sciences course. Applicants are required to demonstrate that they meet all of the following widening participation, academic and UCAT requirements:'

You can find these requirements via the wepage linked above and I've linked the course pages on our website. Let me know if you have any questions about studying at Hallam or student life in Sheffield

- Ella
Lalalala93
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seems like this year's cut off for most of the med schools were higher than previous years....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (124)
62.31%
I don't have everything I need (75)
37.69%

Watched Threads