East Sussex college - access to medicine

Watch
LRLearning
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Just applying for the access med course and the personal statement is 250 words, which isn't very long. I can't seem to find any guidelines of what they want you to include. Does anyone know where to find these, or do you think they don't place that much importance on it?
lemonsqueezer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by LRLearning)
Just applying for the access med course and the personal statement is 250 words, which isn't very long. I can't seem to find any guidelines of what they want you to include. Does anyone know where to find these, or do you think they don't place that much importance on it?
To my understanding the application deadline was the 7th of May wasn't it? And they give one side of A4 as a guideline so it can't be too long no.
Last edited by lemonsqueezer; 9 months ago
LRLearning
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemonsqueezer)
To my understanding the application deadline was the 7th of May wasn't it? And they give one side of A4 as a guideline so it can't be too long no.
I emailed them on the 11th of May asking if it was okay if I printed the form and posted it to them as I’m living in Northern Ireland, and they responded saying to do so.

I sent it today, so hopefully that means they’re still considering
lemonsqueezer
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Wow that's some dedication if you're willing to move to sussex! Have you applied to any other access courses then?
LRLearning
Rep:
?
Wow that's some dedication if you're willing to move to sussex! Have you applied to any other access courses then?
I also applied for West Anglia, Manchester College, City and Islington and Lambeth. Although with Lambeth I didn't get a confirmation email, so I resubmitted but it seems like there are some technical issues. I emailed over a week ago and they haven't got back to me, although understandably if they closed due to COVID. How about yourself?
lemonsqueezer
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Wow that's quite geographically varied ahah. And just islington and sussex downs, though I got a place at islington but if I get a place at sussex I'd then decline the islington offer.

Do you have any preference on a course?
crochet.cat
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey, I did the East Sussex College A2M course last academic year (so I've just finished my first year of med school). I can give you some advice if you want!
LRLearning
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Heya,
Have you heard from Sussex Downs yet? They emailed to say that they have received my application, but nothing since. I’ve got all my offers back other than there and Islington, still waiting.

I have an interview for Harlow too. I’m trying to decide out of Manchester and West Anglia, leaning towards West Anglia.

Is there a reason other than location that you would be more inclined to choose Sussex?
Wow that's quite geographically varied ahah. And just islington and sussex downs, though I got a place at islington but if I get a place at sussex I'd then decline the islington offer.

Do you have any preference on a course?
Last edited by LRLearning; 8 months ago
LRLearning
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by crochet.cat)
Hey, I did the East Sussex College A2M course last academic year (so I've just finished my first year of med school). I can give you some advice if you want!
That’s so kind! I haven’t heard from them yet other than an email to say they have received my application. Did you go on to study medicine in Sussex, or where did you apply if you don’t mind me asking?
lemonsqueezer
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How did everyone get on with their application - results were sent out today I believe
Kaisek
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
How did everyone get on with their application - results were sent out today I believe
Offer received today, and I know one other person who received an offer
lemonsqueezer
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Mark.T)
Offer received today, and I know one other person who received an offer
Congrats! Received mine Monday, though I know no one else who has applied.
Elakkiya
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey, thats amazing! I am currently confused as I want to do medicine but whether to go through A2M or sit my a levels. Would you be able to speak about your experience and how you are finding it.

Side note: I truly appreciate everyone on this forum
Ami_Ami
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
hi guys! Does anyone get an offer from Sussex Downs or Brighton A2M course?
Can you share with us how interview looked like?
Only requirements on their website are Maths and English GCSE B or above...
Jules79
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi there,
Sorry to gatecrash in, I am applying for the A2M at East Sussex for 2021. Can I ask if you were offered a place at BSUH Medical school ? Also please can I ask you how you found the access course itself- is it set over 5 days a week and is the entrance test very difficult maths-wise? How are you finding your first year at medical school?
Thank you so much
BW
Jules
Nainainainainai
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jules79)
Hi there,
Sorry to gatecrash in, I am applying for the A2M at East Sussex for 2021. Can I ask if you were offered a place at BSUH Medical school ? Also please can I ask you how you found the access course itself- is it set over 5 days a week and is the entrance test very difficult maths-wise? How are you finding your first year at medical school?
Thank you so much
BW
Jules
Hi Jules, I am currently on the A2M course at East Sussex so can give some info from this years perspective. as you might know everyone on the course gets an automatic interview at BSMS, we’re currently waiting to find out when they’ll be- probably end of jan. This year the course is set over 3 days (Monday-Wednesday), and is from 9-4.30 most days with some free periods inbetween- the timetable changes each term. Unless it’s changing for 2021 entry there isn’t a maths test for the access to med course, only if you need to resit GCSE maths alongside it. I am resitting maths as I hold a C at the moment and most med schools require a B (I’m not great at maths!) I did about 2 weeks revision of GCSE basics for the maths entry exam and got 50% which was enough to get in. Hope this helps!
Ami_Ami
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nainainainainai)
Hi Jules, I am currently on the A2M course at East Sussex so can give some info from this years perspective. as you might know everyone on the course gets an automatic interview at BSMS, we’re currently waiting to find out when they’ll be- probably end of jan. This year the course is set over 3 days (Monday-Wednesday), and is from 9-4.30 most days with some free periods inbetween- the timetable changes each term. Unless it’s changing for 2021 entry there isn’t a maths test for the access to med course, only if you need to resit GCSE maths alongside it. I am resitting maths as I hold a C at the moment and most med schools require a B (I’m not great at maths!) I did about 2 weeks revision of GCSE basics for the maths entry exam and got 50% which was enough to get in. Hope this helps!
can you explain to me how it exactly works with guaranteed interview?
how about BMAT? if your interview is guaranteed you don't need a good BMAT score?only minimum or it doesn't matter?
Jules79
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nainainainainai)
Hi Nainainainainai,
Thanks so much for the information- really useful. Like you I have GCSE Maths C but mine is from years ago! Can I ask specifically the areas of maths you concentrated on in your preparation ? Presumably you have taken the BMAT if you’re waiting for the Brighton interview?
Thanks again and good luck !
Jules
lemonsqueezer
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Am also on the A2M at ESC this year. Will be joining the online open day this or next month to answer everyone's questions and give some insight to the course and the application process as a whole.
Nainainainainai
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jules79)
Hi Nainainainainai,
Thanks so much for the information- really useful. Like you I have GCSE Maths C but mine is from years ago! Can I ask specifically the areas of maths you concentrated on in your preparation ? Presumably you have taken the BMAT if you’re waiting for the Brighton interview?
Thanks again and good luck !
Jules
Hi Jules,

I used BBC Bitesize to revise- the basics like addition, subtraction, long division/multiplication, percentages etc.- there wasn't any algebra or anything nasty like that in the test I did, it was more like year 8/9 level. The feeling I get is that they just want to make sure you can grasp the basics so you will be able to sit a GCSE, don't worry about it too much at all. Yes the BMAT was in November so we're all just waiting to hear back from the various unis about interviews now.. scary! the BSMS interviews are in January thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.26%
No (823)
67.74%

Watched Threads