V1575 –Mandatory GCSE Welsh (Abolition Of) Bill 2020 (Second Reading)

Watch
Poll: Should this Bill be made into Law?
As many as are of the opinion, aye. (37)
75.51%
Of the contrary, no. (10)
20.41%
Abstain. (2)
4.08%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
B1575 –Mandatory GCSE Welsh (Abolition Of) Bill 2020 (Second Reading), The Mogg MP
Mandatory GCSE Welsh (Abolition Of) Bill 2020

A bill to abolish mandatory Welsh lessons for GCSE pupils in English-medium schools

1: Amendments the to Education Act 2002
(1) The Education Act 2002 is to be amended as follows:
(2) subsection 106(3)(b) of the Education Act 2002 is repealed.
(3) In subsection 108(3) of the Education Act 2002 after the second instance of the word “subject”, insert “, provided that nothing in this section shall be taken to grant the power to the welsh minister to proscribe that the welsh language be made mandatory where it is otherwise not mandatory under the provisions of this Act.”

2: Extent, Commencement and Short Title
(1) This Act extends to Wales.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on the 1st August 2020.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Mandatory Welsh (Abolition Of) Act 2020.

Notes:
Spoiler:
Show

Links:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/32/section/106
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/32/section/108

This bill will allow the GCSE pupils of English-medium schools in Wales greater freedom of choice over their education by removing the requirement for them to take Welsh at GCSE. Welsh will still be taught in KS3, to ensure that students in English-medium schools still do get a taste of the Welsh language to allow them to make a more informed decision on whether they wish to take the language further.

Changes for the Second Reading:
This reading, as you can tell, is a much more simpler way of doing what was intended the first time without unnecessarily touching the education of welsh-medium students. The entire contents of the bill have been replaced with a simple repeal and addition to the Education Act 2002, both of which enact the sole purpose of the bill, to make GCSE Welsh voluntary at KS4.

Reminder: “This House may act as the Scottish Parliament, National Assembly for Wales, Northern Ireland Assembly or any English devolved regional assembly in passing legislation on devolved issues relating to those constituent parts of the country.”

Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I see no reason why not.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Dw i'n apelio at bob AS i bleidleisio yn erbyn y fil hon, sydd yn agosáu at fandaliaeth ddiwyllianol ac yn dinistrio'r cyfoethogrwydd diwyllianol a ieithyddol y mae disgyblion yn cael mynediad atynt.

Simultaneous translation
I appeal to all MPs to vote against this bill, which approaches cultural vandalism and destroys the cultural and linguistic richness that pupils have access to.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Aye!

I'm voting aye to save Welsh children having Welsh rammed down their throats. Welsh is as useful as a chocolate teapot. In fact a chocolate teapot is more useful as if you're stranded on a desert island you can eat it.

When everyone speaking Welsh speaks English you know it's a really ******* pointless language.

When the Welsh government needs to spend millions of pounds to stop it going extinct you know it's pointless.

When the number of Welsh speakers decreased between the 2001 and 2011 census despite the Welsh government trying to promote it you know it's pointless.

When the language isn't taught in any schools outside Wales you know it's pointless.

Welsh is a Dodo language. Let it go extinct!
Bailey14
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Aye.
Cabin19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Aye shouldn't be compulsory
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Aye Greater freedom of choice is always appreciated.
ohdearstudying
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Aye, it will turn them away from the language
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
Aye, it will turn them away from the language
Why’s that a good thing?
ohdearstudying
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Why’s that a good thing?
It’s not a good thing. Hence the comma stipulating a pause and change of tone, forcing them to study it serves no purpose.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
It’s not a good thing. Hence the comma stipulating a pause and change of tone, forcing them to study it serves no purpose.
Now I’m confused.
You think it’s not a good thing that this would turn the Welsh away from their language, yet back this bill and think studying it serves no purpose?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
two Ayes hav been removed for Unown Uzer and El Salvador(Not an MP)
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Order, order!

The Ayes to the right: 37
The Noes to the left:10
Abstains: 2

The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.45%
I'm not sure (45)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (310)
29.87%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.6%
I'm not a current university student (506)
48.75%

Watched Threads