karolinaturnock
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I would like to do either law, law with criminology or law with psychology at university, however, I’m having a lot of trouble with writing my personal statement. I’m in year 12 and havnt been able to do any work experience because of the virus so I don’t actually know what to put on my personal statement. I recently completed a online free course (law) and was thinking of putting that on my personal statement. I’ve recently read a book aswell but I’m not sure whether to include that aswell. I want my personal statement to stand out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do so I can put what I’ve done on my personal statement to make it look good/stand out?

Does anyone also have any book suggestions about the law aswell?
Advertisement
Js048326
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yeah saying how you’ve read books about law is a good idea because it lets them see you’ve done your research

What really helps is getting work experience for example at a law firm. You can also visit the courts which is actually really fun and easy to do.
Miriam29
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Don’t just list law books you’ve read. An admissions officer wants to know what the books have taught you and any opinions you have on the content. Visiting courts is a good idea, though obviously you can’t do that at the moment (you can watch Supreme Court hearings online). Work experience can be fun but it’s definitely not needed for a personal statement (I didn’t do any and I’ve still got an offer from my dream university). My key advice would be to try to make your personal statement stand out. Everyone talks about the basics so why not pick a niche area of the law to focus on? I personally chose to research the law surrounding artificial intelligence and facial recognition. Someone I know took and interest in Islamic Law. If you can write an interesting opinion about something niche it can get you noticed.
Advertisement
Miriam29
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Also I’d recommend “What About Law?”, “Is Eating People Wrong?”, “The Rule of Law” and “Eve Was Framed”.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by karolinaturnock)
I’m in year 12 and havnt been able to do any work experience because of the virus so I don’t actually know what to put on my personal statement.
You specifically don't need work experience for a law application. Law at university is an academic discipline, not vocational training. Furthermore, law schools recognise that a lot of students can't access opportunities like this and having it as some sort of 'expectation' would be inadvertently narrowing access to what is already a rather 'narrow' subject in terms of the background of applicants.
Advertisement
English2001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Miriam29)
Don’t just list law books you’ve read. An admissions officer wants to know what the books have taught you and any opinions you have on the content. Visiting courts is a good idea, though obviously you can’t do that at the moment (you can watch Supreme Court hearings online). Work experience can be fun but it’s definitely not needed for a personal statement (I didn’t do any and I’ve still got an offer from my dream university). My key advice would be to try to make your personal statement stand out. Everyone talks about the basics so why not pick a niche area of the law to focus on? I personally chose to research the law surrounding artificial intelligence and facial recognition. Someone I know took and interest in Islamic Law. If you can write an interesting opinion about something niche it can get you noticed.
I agree with this. I visited courts like the Old Bailey and the Court of Appeals and included this in my PS. In interviews, this was all they wanted to talk about. They didn’t ask about any of the books I’d referred to. Also, a lack of work experience was not a problem for me. I know that the covid-19 is going to make it difficult for you to visit courts though so I’m not sure how you will get round this. It’s good that you’ve read books but this is more important for your own piece of mind rather than for your PS. If you do choose to refer to your book, make sure you embed it properly and demonstrate how it has developed your interest in wanting to study law. If you have enough words I think it would be useful to mention your online course in law but again, make sure you give an insightful explanation into why this is relevant to you wanting to study law. Maybe speak about a specific legal issue that has interested you? I wrote about intersectional discrimination and this is something that I was asked about in interviews too
Last edited by English2001; 4 months ago
karolinaturnock
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I did actually visit court a few times for a murder trial but I never thought of mentioning this.
Thank you so much, all of this information was very useful
Advertisement
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You dont need work experience as Reality Check talks about. You need to put why you're interested in that area, why you are interested in course and what makes you a suitable candidate for that course. You can include that course and book if it's relevant to the course and you need to talk about what you learnt from it and link it to those questions I mentioned above. You dont need to stand out but the best way to do so is showing a genuine interest in that course and the worst way is making your ps about law as a career rather than academic and mentioning irrelevant information. You can do a lot apart for reading books tbh. For book suggestions, I recommend you focus on a specific area of law that interest you - do you have any that interest you?
esphodels
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
You dont need work experience as Reality Check talks about. You need to put why you're interested in that area, why you are interested in course and what makes you a suitable candidate for that course. You can include that course and book if it's relevant to the course and you need to talk about what you learnt from it and link it to those questions I mentioned above. You dont need to stand out but the best way to do so is showing a genuine interest in that course and the worst way is making your ps about law as a career rather than academic and mentioning irrelevant information. You can do a lot apart for reading books tbh. For book suggestions, I recommend you focus on a specific area of law that interest you - do you have any that interest you?
Hi PetitePanda, how do you find a specific area of law that you're interested in? Does it come from research or reading? Any tips? Thank you!
Advertisement
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by esphodels)
Hi PetitePanda, how do you find a specific area of law that you're interested in? Does it come from research or reading? Any tips? Thank you!
From both, I found jurisprudence interesting from reading a book and I found specific topics of areas from research like artificial intelligence in our legal system and law firms or the problem with taxes. I found reading cases useful to like the case of the conjoined twins and some absolute weird ones that make you read more to see why they do things and what do the law do for that case. I suggest either starting from a general book that covers all the compulsory topics so you get a basic idea like Miriam’s suggestion what about law is good for that or looking at some cases in the newspaper’s legal sector or reading some academic reports on what they are researching.
esphodels
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
wow thank you so much! where do you find these cases?
Advertisement
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by esphodels)
wow thank you so much! where do you find these cases?
In newspapers, https://www.bailii.org/ and https://www.supremecourt.uk/
UniofGreenwich
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by karolinaturnock)
I would like to do either law, law with criminology or law with psychology at university, however, I’m having a lot of trouble with writing my personal statement. I’m in year 12 and havnt been able to do any work experience because of the virus so I don’t actually know what to put on my personal statement. I recently completed a online free course (law) and was thinking of putting that on my personal statement. I’ve recently read a book aswell but I’m not sure whether to include that aswell. I want my personal statement to stand out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do so I can put what I’ve done on my personal statement to make it look good/stand out?

Does anyone also have any book suggestions about the law aswell?
Hi karolinaturnock :hello:

I currently study law, so the personal statement I wrote was for law. When I did my personal statement in Year 12 I didn’t have any legal work experience either, so I didn’t base my personal statement on that.

To make your personal statement stand out try to write it in a really engaging way to show your interest in the course you want to do. You can do this by starting your personal statement with a really dynamic first sentence that will capture someone’s interest.

In my statement I talked about a case that caught my interest because it was fairly unusual. So you could write about something controversial or an article/news story that stood out to you related to the course you want to apply for.

To make your statement look good talk about all the skills you’ve developed from your studies and how you think this will make you an asset to the course and university you want to apply to.

I would highly recommend you to watch Ibz Mo’s (Youtuber) youtube video on personal statements because that really helped me get started.

Hope this helps

Devina
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads