Have you experienced drug addiction?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Have you ever experienced drug addiction?
How did you get pass it?
Are you still going through it right now?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
Yes I have. It started off during first year of college. I was given a research chemical to try and I instantly fell in love with it. It was shortly after I would sit outside the location waiting for hours for him to be there so I can get another small bottle. The feelings were indescribable I would sit there numb, chest pains, tongue felt like it was constantly being rolled down my throat and it was painful. But I loved where my mind would take me on it I could just forget everything and go to places in the world, after a few days the usage quickly increased I’d wake up and do it and every night had a pattern / ritual when I took it. But then one night I realised what I became after months of using it, I was pale, lifeless and had no aspirations. So I didn’t leave the house for several weeks during a holiday just sweating in my room shaking and having panic attacks until it eased off. It took a month to get less urge and by around the 6 month mark I started to get over it more. Till this day I can get some urges but I just remind myself of what’s ahead and what I don’t want to become, and I recommend professional help rather then what I did because it was torture on my own and no one to open up to.
15mcqueenh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
no
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Fortunately no.
Although I had a friend who died of drug addiction, saw her going down rapidly after becoming addicted, not a sight that was very pleasant to see.
Coolfred
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If anything I'm addicted to not doing drugs, like I feel like I have 'drug-phobia' or something. Except for not wanting to do drugs (not prescription/medical ones I mean) isn't much of an irrational fear, so I don't know what it is.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
yes started when i was 15 still struggling with it now 2 years later
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have a little bit an understanding, I went through a really nasty 'cold turkey' drug withdrawal which took about 4 1/2 months to fully go.
I got the agitation, intrusive thoughts, psycomotor agitation, visual hallucinations, extreme feelings of euphoria, then days of feeling so low I can't discribe, couldn't bear light/ sound. It was hell.

I can't emphasis how important it is to be medically supervised during withdrawal and there are various medications that can support you and make it a bit more manageable (eg. Methadone for heroin). Depending on what your on, you could be at a high risk of having potentially deadly seizures, there is again medication that can be taken to reduce this risk.

The one lucky thing about the stuff I went through is that the drug isn't technically addictive in the sence of I don't get urges to take it. So I don't have much insight into that.

However I know people do use support systems like 'smart recovery'- an online website & AA meetings.
It is possible to get past this. My Dad has an addiction but he also has a good life.
Anonymous #4
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by glassalice)
I have a little bit an understanding, I went through a really nasty 'cold turkey' drug withdrawal which took about 4 1/2 months to fully go.
I got the agitation, intrusive thoughts, psycomotor agitation, visual hallucinations, extreme feelings of euphoria, then days of feeling so low I can't discribe, couldn't bear light/ sound. It was hell.

I can't emphasis how important it is to be medically supervised during withdrawal and there are various medications that can support you and make it a bit more manageable (eg. Methadone for heroin). Depending on what your on, you could be at a high risk of having potentially deadly seizures, there is again medication that can be taken to reduce this risk.

The one lucky thing about the stuff I went through is that the drug isn't technically addictive in the sence of I don't get urges to take it. So I don't have much insight into that.

However I know people do use support systems like 'smart recovery'- an online website & AA meetings.
It is possible to get past this. My Dad has an addiction but he also has a good life.
define good life
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
define good life
It is a subjective term but, he has a family, a house, a job. He only has this because he tries so hard.
Anonymous #4
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by glassalice)
It is a subjective term but, he has a family, a house, a job. He only has this because he tries so hard.
Okay well good for him and best of luck
Anonymous #5
Report 4 months ago
Briefly dated a guy who did $p33d (written like that because I don't know what filters are on here lol) and he came to visit me (we lived quite far apart) and brought it into my house, took it while I was there and then drove us around while under the influence of it.
I had no idea at all about any of it, didn't know he took it at all, let alone in my house and only found out after he got back home.
Needless to say I went through the roof when I found out and never spoke to him again. That's my only experience of it.
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I know that:
- feelings of social isolation / depression increases odds of a person developing any type of addiction, as a means of escapism
- the more someone's life derails because of drugs, the more inadequate they feel inside, the more they feel the need to resort to drugs to escape that feeling
- people take drugs for social reasons / to fit in with a peer group
- people take drugs out of adventurousness

I have personal experience of some mild addictions, not 1st hand experience of a drug addiction. But I've known people that have, and the above were some of the causes leading up to it, starting with that which is most influential.
Anonymous #6
Report 2 months ago
Yes I ha e for many years and I'm still going through it just now. I'm currently on a methadone program but it's not helping me my mental health has me trapped in a vicious circle
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (32)
21.05%
Less motivated (120)
78.95%

Watched Threads