The Student Room Group

gcse statistics edexcel 9-1

For those of you who have learnt this course/ already taken the exams how difficult is it if your not super super super good at maths but only good if you revise for 700 hours?
it doesn’t matter how long you have revised, it’s how you revised.

i sat the edexcel paper in summer 2019 and statistics was not my strongest because of the amount of definitions we had to learn, i was better at the maths (i usually got 7/8 in maths).

it depends on how good your maths is and how well you understand what it is that you’re doing in the question and knowing how to apply different definitions to help you understand - or at least it was like that for me
Reply 2
Original post by leylahyeah
For those of you who have learnt this course/ already taken the exams how difficult is it if your not super super super good at maths but only good if you revise for 700 hours?

Statistics should be easier than Maths for most people, from my experience.

To be really honest, I think it isn't too bad. Revision should be fairly easy if you know the conecpts - obv being good at Maths helps
but it is still a fairly easy gcse. Also, the massive purple edexcel textbook has summaries at the end of each chapter
that are sooo helpful because it condenses everything down.
Hope this helps

I actually did worse in GCSE Stats than GCSE Maths however, like a previous poster said, it's all about how you revise.
It's not a particularly difficult course, and you get given most of the more complicated equations.
Some of the equation do look 'intimating', but you don't really have to understand them, you just have to plug numbers in.
Alot of its content is very similar to the statistics & probability content in GCSE Maths. I would even go as far as saying I *suspect* that if you sat the stats paper and just used GCSE Maths knowledge you would come out with a 5.
My teacher told me, that in some schools they encourage 'weaker' pupils who probably aren't going to pass too many GCSEs to take statistics as its considered so 'none changing'.

Quick Reply

Latest