What are some of the best Uni's for film/ editing and post production?

Watch this thread
Fireyl
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently in year 11 but with the large break we have I've started to think more and more about Uni's and one path I'm looking at is going to a Uni for film and/or editing. There are quite a few Universities that offer film so I was wondering if anyone had a really good experience or knew of particularly good Unis.
katie1405
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fireyl)
I'm currently in year 11 but with the large break we have I've started to think more and more about Uni's and one path I'm looking at is going to a Uni for film and/or editing. There are quite a few Universities that offer film so I was wondering if anyone had a really good experience or knew of particularly good Unis.
I don't know loads about editing but Bristol is rated top for Film by the Guardian, a non-Russel group that was really good when I visited was UCA (University for the Creative Arts) although again I don't know much about editing. The Guardian does a ranking table of all universities for all courses which is really useful so i would recommend looking into that. Hope this helps
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Look at film schools that are CILECT members. They’re internationally recognised for the practicality and industry standard techniques.

Iirr the universities with undergrad courses in the uk are:
Arts uni Bournemouth (Bournemouth film school)
Falmouth
Leeds Beckett (northern film school)
Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier (Scottish screen academy)
UCA Farnham
UAL LCC
Westminster
University of the Arts London
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi Fireyl,

Great to hear you are using this time to plan for your future!

University of the Arts London is a great option when it comes to Film/Editing, we are currently ranked 2nd in the World for Art and Design (QS Rankings) and are one of largest creative universities in the world too. We are made up of six colleges in Central London, your campus would be London College of Communication as suggested below (thanks PQ!).

London College of Communication has loads of facilities on sight and is also situated close to some of the biggest TV and Film employers in the country. I would also encourage you to take a look at the UAL Archives (also based at LCC), we were lucky to have been gifted the Stanley Kubrick Archive, you would love it!

I recommend looking at some of the following links below:
UAL LCC Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B39F...T&index=7&t=0s
Stanley Kubrick Archive - https://www.arts.ac.uk/students/libr...ubrick-archive

Good luck with your course search!

Many thanks,
Matthew
Student Recruitment Officer
Fireyl
Rep:
(Original post by katie1405)
I don't know loads about editing but Bristol is rated top for Film by the Guardian, a non-Russel group that was really good when I visited was UCA (University for the Creative Arts) although again I don't know much about editing. The Guardian does a ranking table of all universities for all courses which is really useful so i would recommend looking into that. Hope this helps
Thank you I'll look in more depth at Bristol
Fireyl
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
Look at film schools that are CILECT members. They’re internationally recognised for the practicality and industry standard techniques.

Falmouth
UCA Farnham
UAL LCC
Westminster
Thank you
Fireyl
Rep:
(Original post by University of the Arts London)
Hi Fireyl,

Great to hear you are using this time to plan for your future!

University of the Arts London is a great option when it comes to Film/Editing, we are currently ranked 2nd in the World for Art and Design (QS Rankings) and are one of largest creative universities in the world too. We are made up of six colleges in Central London, your campus would be London College of Communication as suggested below (thanks PQ!).

London College of Communication has loads of facilities on sight and is also situated close to some of the biggest TV and Film employers in the country. I would also encourage you to take a look at the UAL Archives (also based at LCC), we were lucky to have been gifted the Stanley Kubrick Archive, you would love it!

I recommend looking at some of the following links below:
UAL LCC Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B39F...T&index=7&t=0s
Stanley Kubrick Archive - https://www.arts.ac.uk/students/libr...ubrick-archive

Good luck with your course search!

Many thanks,
Matthew
Student Recruitment Officer
Thank you so much! I will definitely look more into the Archives in detail; I really like the idea of studying in London as well so will definitely look at this seriously.
ishathorat
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you
Hey! From what I know, Westminster has the best/most reputable Film Course in London. Outside London it’s AUB.
filmworker
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)

Falmouth
UCA Farnham
UAL LCC
Westminster
You missed off Hertfordshire from that list. Why?

The post production tuition at Herts is amazing and led by one of the best tutors at the university. They've won RTS awards and have partnerships with two major post houses for employment. They even have a lab Walter Murch opened, for delivering editing classes.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by filmworker)
You missed off Hertfordshire from that list. Why?

The post production tuition at Herts is amazing and led by one of the best tutors at the university. They've won RTS awards and have partnerships with two major post houses for employment. They even have a lab Walter Murch opened, for delivering editing classes.
Iirr stands for If I Remember Rightly....my memory isn't perfect
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.03%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.19%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.31%

Watched Threads