The Student Room Group

Advice on studying part-ttime while working as a consultant

Hi all,

I am a 23 year old about to graduate from The University of Edinburgh with a degree in EE.

Right now I have an entry-level consulting offer from a top consulting firm (MBB+) but I have also developed an interest in Data Science. I shopped around and I found out that The University of Edinburgh offers a part-time MSc Data Science, Technology and Innovation program which can be completed over a period of up to 6 years. However, I have also read about how intense and life-consuming a career in consulting can be especially in terms of work-life balance and free time.

Given this situation, would it be advisable to pursue part-time study while working as a management consultant in London. Looking to hear from people who might have some experience working in the industry or doing part-time study while working as well.
Reply 1
mate you have an offer from MBB, ofc it will be tough. work there for two years, then take a year out for your masters, then maybe pivot into a data sciences related career. this is what most people do in the industry.
Original post by whistle.blower
Hi all,

I am a 23 year old about to graduate from The University of Edinburgh with a degree in EE.

Right now I have an entry-level consulting offer from a top consulting firm (MBB+) but I have also developed an interest in Data Science. I shopped around and I found out that The University of Edinburgh offers a part-time MSc Data Science, Technology and Innovation program which can be completed over a period of up to 6 years. However, I have also read about how intense and life-consuming a career in consulting can be especially in terms of work-life balance and free time.

Given this situation, would it be advisable to pursue part-time study while working as a management consultant in London. Looking to hear from people who might have some experience working in the industry or doing part-time study while working as well.

First of all congratulations on your offer. I think that a part-time MSc will be too time consuming for you to do a well in both your job and the master. I would suggest you work for a year and the re-assess your situation. Do you still want to study data science? How so? Do you believe that you need a degree or you could learn stuff online? You are an engineer already, so people will likely trust your ability to do stuff with numbers already even if it's not a formal degree. You could also take a year out to go get a degree, in which case I believe that Full-time studies will be better than part time, and I'd recommend going to Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial.
Original post by tierny3
mate you have an offer from MBB, ofc it will be tough. work there for two years, then take a year out for your masters, then maybe pivot into a data sciences related career. this is what most people do in the industry.

Thank you for your advice. The offer is in MBB (e.g. Oliver Wyman, Roland Berger etc).And I agree with you. My thinking was that, I could pivot on my Data Science degree right off the bat from the company without the ned to take a year out to get a Data Science MSc. If I was to take time for studies, I would want it to be for an MBA. But I agree with you in terms of waiting for two years and then pursuing the degree.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by xtrembob
First of all congratulations on your offer. I think that a part-time MSc will be too time consuming for you to do a well in both your job and the master. I would suggest you work for a year and the re-assess your situation. Do you still want to study data science? How so? Do you believe that you need a degree or you could learn stuff online? You are an engineer already, so people will likely trust your ability to do stuff with numbers already even if it's not a formal degree. You could also take a year out to go get a degree, in which case I believe that Full-time studies will be better than part time, and I'd recommend going to Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial.

Thank you for your advice. I agree with you as well. I think if I am too adamant to go with the part-time study avenue, this would be the most sensible way to go forward especially considering that I do not have any experience in working in the industry and the company, so I do not have a clear picture of the work culture and job demands. In the meantime, I will look into the online courses option as you suggested. Maybe I will take advantage of the free Data Science courses currently offered by HavardX Online. Anyways, thank you for your advice mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending