September 2020 session, any updates for PGRs?

Watch
BTS gal
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,
I am due to start postgraduate research at University of Glasgow in the fall term, but I haven’t received any information about whether the lessons would be online or onsite?
I am not planning to delay and whether online or onsite, I am determined to begin studies in the fall term but if its not online, I need to make accommodations arrangements.
Does anyone have any information as to when we will hear something about it or perhaps someone has already heard from uni?
emcat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
No one knows. The uni has handled it pretty badly to be honest, an email was sent to current students and PGs were basically an addendum at the bottom stating courses might start in January instead of September and that was it. No information if PG courses would be online or in person or any idea when we would know when courses would start.
BTS gal
Rep:
?
Ah right, that's too bad because some clarity is much needed at this time. Yesterday, Cambridge announced that classes would be online till summer 2021 which makes me wonder if they are thinking on the same lines (hopefully not). I have written to them a while ago though and if I hear from them, I will let you know too. Which course are you doing/will be doing?
NotYetAnEngineer
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Also due to begin a PhD at Glasgow this September. I have heard very little thus far. I imagine the literature review to be possible remotely. Do you have any taught components?
BTS gal
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotYetAnEngineer)
Also due to begin a PhD at Glasgow this September. I have heard very little thus far. I imagine the literature review to be possible remotely. Do you have any taught components?
I am not sure, they haven't shared the scheme of studies but I don't think many taught elements would be there as I already did masters from Glasgow in the same field, but there may be some related to research methodology etc.
Which school are you in? You are right, literature review seems possible, its the field work bit I am concerned about but that does not begin until second year in any case. Do you have such an element in your work?
BTS gal
Rep:
?
(Original post by emcat)
No one knows. The uni has handled it pretty badly to be honest, an email was sent to current students and PGs were basically an addendum at the bottom stating courses might start in January instead of September and that was it. No information if PG courses would be online or in person or any idea when we would know when courses would start.
Could it be this one? https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/stud...723136_en.html
NotYetAnEngineer
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by BTS gal)
I am not sure, they haven't shared the scheme of studies but I don't think many taught elements would be there as I already did masters from Glasgow in the same field, but there may be some related to research methodology etc.
Which school are you in? You are right, literature review seems possible, its the field work bit I am concerned about but that does not begin until second year in any case. Do you have such an element in your work?
I'll be joining a group in the school of engineering. Likewise with the field work - however, I imagine access for PGR would be more flexible than for undergrads due to the small numbers and segregation. As far as I'm aware, I don't have any taught elements though there might be options that would interest me. Which school will you be in?
BTS gal
Rep:
?
I'll be joining a group in the school of engineering. Likewise with the field work - however, I imagine access for PGR would be more flexible than for undergrads due to the small numbers and segregation. As far as I'm aware, I don't have any taught elements though there might be options that would interest me. Which school will you be in?
I will be placed in School of Education, you are right, it didn't occur to me, and perhaps that's the reason uni is being a bit silent given ours is not going to be a big group in any case.

Are you based in Scotland? Have you booked accomodation? I want to book but with the uncertainty I thought I will wait just a bit more and see. I don't mind first term online as such, I just want them to tell it to us so we can make other arrangements accordingly
Intermit
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by emcat)
I quite disagree with this statement. The uni was proactive in providing as much information on the next steps during this pandemic. They also anticipated the lethality of the coronavirus by extending deposit payments for prospective students - even before covid was declared a pandemic by the WHO. I applied to 5 top uni's in the UK and none had a faster response than glasgow. They held a virtual online information session. At least for international students. Idk about current and local students.

Their latest newsletter said teachings could be a blend of online and f2f teaching but differ from course to course. I just hope the course I applied isn't entirely online or pushed back to 2021. Might as well defer at that point.
Last edited by Intermit; 6 months ago
BTS gal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Intermit)
I quite disagree with this statement. The uni was proactive in providing as much information on the next steps during this pandemic. They also anticipated the lethality of the coronavirus by extending deposit payments for prospective students - even before covid was declared a pandemic by the WHO. I applied to 5 top uni's in the UK and none had a faster response than glasgow. They held a virtual online information session. At least for international students. Idk about current and local students.

Their latest newsletter said teachings could be a blend of online and f2f teaching but differ from course to course. I just hope the course I applied isn't entirely online or pushed back to 2021. Might as well defer at that point.
I think @emcat was just mentioning that with reference to PGR students and not generally. Everyone understands the pressures universities are dealing with and the support so far has been better than expected. However, we were just concerned if the next session will be online or not, and that is one information that was not shared at the time of original post. With the link I tagged earlier today, that is apparently an email sent to current students, things have become a bit clear as now we expect a blended learning model though not entirely sure of its applicability for the PGRs.
My only worry at this point is to book or not book accommodation. How are others handling it?

Are you an international student? Have you booked your accommodation as yet? How are you managing it all and which course would you be in?
BTS gal
Rep:
?
Hi, I just heard from uni and they said they will be in touch soon as things are finalised. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Not sure how to close the thread 😳 anyone got any ideas?
Kazzy75
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think largely the issue is no body knows. I have friends who work in academia and quite a few have been told by their institutions to plan for both senarios of face 2 face and online teaching, whereas others have been told it's too soon to say..
BTS gal
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Kazzy75)
I think largely the issue is no body knows. I have friends who work in academia and quite a few have been told by their institutions to plan for both senarios of face 2 face and online teaching, whereas others have been told it's too soon to say..
Makes sense
BTS gal
Rep:
?
Guys, did anyone get the email? I got an email saying PGR courses are beginning from October though there is an option for a later start if we like. Check your inboxes perhaps you may have similar information too
NotYetAnEngineer
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by BTS gal)
Guys, did anyone get the email? I got an email saying PGR courses are beginning from October though there is an option for a later start if we like. Check your inboxes perhaps you may have similar information too
Did indeed, thank you!
BTS gal
Rep:
?
Did indeed, thank you!
Pleasure! Lets please keep each other posted with our accommodation search ... What options are you all considering? Private or halls?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (20)
29.41%
No - I have already returned home (8)
11.76%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (14)
20.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
30.88%

Watched Threads