Changing my name by deed poll

Watch
SilenceOfTheLamb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So after years of having to put up with a selfish, horrible and a evil mother I have fully come to the conclusion that I don't want to be classified as her son anymore and with that I am thinking about changing my name, I would change my surname also but that would be a disrespect to the rest of the family, they haven't done anything wrong to me.

My mum hasn't been a mum so I don't think I should continue life under a name that she chose for me. Over the years she's put me over a ton of emotional abuse and recently it's just got so bad that I've come to the conclusion of changing my name will fully disconnect me from her.

However, I am wondering what the rest of the family will say, I pretty much know that they will probably say I am either A. attention seeking or B. taking it too far, to which I am not I am just wanting a fresh start, something that doesn't consist of being abused continuously.

I have two friends in life where for a while it would feel weird them calling me a different name and visa versa, but besides that I don't have any friends and this would be a fresh new start for me. I am in general sick of having the name I have, I am sick of the life I have lead so far and want something new.

Honest opinions?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
*shrug* I doubt a different name is really the lasting answer, but if you're making a 'Fresh Start' then go ahead, who cares what any of them think if you won't see them again?
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Good idea, it will feel like a break from the past and you can use that as a starting point for the rest of your life. Leave her behind and focus on yourself.
SilenceOfTheLamb
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
*shrug* I doubt a different name is really the lasting answer, but if you're making a 'Fresh Start' then go ahead, who cares what any of them think if you won't see them again?
It's more I want to go by something that I have named myself and not a name from someone that's given me a seriously ****ty life. Unfortunately she will always be in my life (until the alcohol eventually kills her, the sooner the better I say.) she's basically a 40+ year old boomer that still lives at her mums house (my nans house) so until I move out I will pretty much have to see her presence every single day.
SilenceOfTheLamb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)
Good idea, it will feel like a break from the past and you can use that as a starting point for the rest of your life. Leave her behind and focus on yourself.
I think it is because when she tells her alcohol bum friends that she has three sons, when she mentions my name as 'Ross' technically she will be lying as 'Ross' won't exist anymore. I just wish there was a way that you could change who your mum and dad is on paper because both of them would be gone 100%.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by SilenceOfTheLamb)
It's more I want to go by something that I have named myself and not a name from someone that's given me a seriously ****ty life. Unfortunately she will always be in my life (until the alcohol eventually kills her, the sooner the better I say.) she's basically a 40+ year old boomer that still lives at her mums house (my nans house) so until I move out I will pretty much have to see her presence every single day.
It honestly sounds more like you're doing it to provoke a reaction from her, if you want to make a clean start, make plans to move, but there's no % in inflaming a situation you have to currently put up with.
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think it is because when she tells her alcohol bum friends that she has three sons, when she mentions my name as 'Ross' technically she will be lying as 'Ross' won't exist anymore. I just wish there was a way that you could change who your mum and dad is on paper because both of them would be gone 100%.
Sadly I don't see anything about it online.
Hellohsjakodsmka
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
PRSOM
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
PRSOM
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You do not need to pay a solicitor to change your name. You just need witnesses and the right documents

https://freedeedpoll.org.uk
Shish_bish
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

I have two friends in life where for a while it would feel weird them calling me a different name and visa versa, but besides that I don't have any friends and this would be a fresh new start for me.

Honest opinions?
I have just recently changed my entire name by deedpoll, trust me, your friends won't really care much. For me it was more of a fresh start at uni and the years after. Basically escaping from my past experiences
Bio 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (809)
42.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.49%

Watched Threads