Rewards and Attendance help needed

Watch
This discussion is closed.
P Nolan
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
'A little task for you' My Head said.

Find out how other schools monitor attendance. Authorising absence etc.

AND

What systems are in place for recognising and rewarding achievement.

Produce a report on these two issues.

Well what else have I to do.

So, help please!!! We are an 11-18 Comp. In need of some forward thinking.

If you want to e-mail off the newsgroup then mail to

[email protected] k

Thanks

Paul
Ian
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Thu, 23 May 2002 19:57:28 +0100, P Nolan wrote:

[q1]> 'A little task for you' My Head said.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Find out how other schools monitor attendance. Authorising absence etc.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> AND[/q1]

I have a web based electronic registration application - all you need is a web browser in the
classroom to use it. Its being tested in a School in Sandwell at the moment but if you are
interested E-mail me [email protected] and I'll send you the url and passwords to try it out.
Not sure of prices etc at the moment but it will be substantially less expensive than similar
applications - might even be free under certain circumstances.

[q1]> What systems are in place for recognising and rewarding achievement.[/q1]

Merit marks, positive and negative points systems for managing behaviour. These too can be
computerised inexpensively. Looking into development costs for a school in Devon at the moment. If
we get half a dozen schools to share the development cost - perhaps £1k each it too could be made
available to everyone free.

[q1]> Produce a report on these two issues.[/q1]

Software can do it.

[q1]> Well what else have I to do.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> So, help please!!! We are an 11-18 Comp. In need of some forward thinking.[/q1]

Don't py more than £10k for these facilites as I can get them developed for less!

Regards,

--
IanL
Mo
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"P Nolan" <[email protected] uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Find out how other schools monitor attendance. Authorising absence etc.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> AND[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> So, help please!!! We are an 11-18 Comp. In need of some forward thinking.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If you want to e-mail off the newsgroup then mail to[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> [email protected] k[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Paul[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

We run two attendance prizes each week.

On Tuesday Assembly we award £5 to the tutor group with the best attendance for the previous week.
They get to choose what to do with the money (practice at citizenship, democracy) whether to spend
it or save.

On Thursday Assembly I get a print out of all the kids with 100% attendance. I have a bucket full of
cloakroom tickets. One is chosen and the corresponding number on the list wins the prize (usually a
small calculator or suchlike)

How much they work im not sure. The kids certainly talk about the prizes and at times complain about
non-attenders in their tutor group. there is a bit of peer pressure. They enjoy the choice of what
to do with the cash. However, when I worked out our attendance figures for the year since we started
this, they're roughly the same as last year. Up by 0.5% which I dont think is really statistically
significant. Now face the choice of whether or not to continue. No real evidence that they worked,
but would there be a dip if we withdraw the rewards.

--
Mo the RGI (Really Gorgeous Irishman)
Clark
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
P Nolan wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

My last school: each lesson the teacher wrote on a special slip the children absent from that lesson
and hung the slip on a hook outside the classroom. Several of the conseillers d'education (teaching
assistants, perhaps?) then collected all the slips half-way through the lesson and entered the
absences on computer, before following up any anomalies, children skipping certain lessons,
continued absences, etc. Each week, a digest of absences was made available to all staff (and
students concerned), and letters (automatically generated and printed) sent home to parents who had
not filled in and delivered the special 'authorisation' slip within two days of an absence. Of
course more than two days absence required a medical certificate signed by a doctor. And so on ...

My present school: the same system, except that absence slips aren't collected every lesson. Rather,
each teacher places them in one of several receptacles placed conveniently (staff car park entrance,
main gate ...) for that purpose as they leave the premises after giving their last lesson for the
day. Conseillers collect at the end of the school day, then ... as above.

HTH

Bob
Philip Edwards
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
School local to us gives a coconut to every child with 100% attendance. :O)
Giselle Morgan
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Don't feed them bread...feed them chocolate....and be happy!

Gisell Morgan Leeds UK

"P Nolan" <[email protected] uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> AND[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If you want to e-mail off the newsgroup then mail to[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> [email protected] k[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Paul[/q1]
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.06%
No (604)
65.94%

Watched Threads