fields i can go in with a human nutrition degree

Watch
shazi53
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I graduated with a 2.1, however, dont want to be a dietician. My degree was usually science based and i picked modules such as biochemistry and applied and medical science. Therefore, can i do a postgraduate which will take me to a different field and what career aspects can i take. Looking at kings college postgraduate courses such as cardiovascular research, immunology and microbiome in health and disease would i be able to get into these courses if i did a part time job as a laboratory technician in a college as i dont have much experience in lab work compared to other degrees such as biomedical science or pharacology.
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The following link is my go to for such questions:
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...gree/nutrition

University of Surrey has a similar list:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/features/to...etetics-degree

Another list:
https://www.healthgrad.com/physical-...ionist-degree/

In terms of postgrad study, it will depend more on what you want to do as opposed to what you could get into with a nutrition degree. Makes life easier.
oh_no_what
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by shazi53)
I graduated with a 2.1, however, dont want to be a dietician. My degree was usually science based and i picked modules such as biochemistry and applied and medical science. Therefore, can i do a postgraduate which will take me to a different field and what career aspects can i take. Looking at kings college postgraduate courses such as cardiovascular research, immunology and microbiome in health and disease would i be able to get into these courses if i did a part time job as a laboratory technician in a college as i dont have much experience in lab work compared to other degrees such as biomedical science or pharacology.
Hi I am a final year food sci & nutrition student

KCL Nutrition MSc has similar module to my BSc plus they didnt state much module content there, so it put me off. I am kinda interested in gut microbes so I applied for Microbiome in health and disease MSc and received an offer from them. The point is, the course only focus on microbiome that is very narrow topic even though it is a very very hot topic. Plus we (students with nutrition BSc) dont have many solid lab skills compared to other biomed/ biochem/ other biosciences students, so not many jobs will come to you. You will also learn programming skills but the skill you learnt there is nothing compared to proper programmer or to those molecular biology students (some of them learnt bioinformatic). More important, when you look at the department name, you will find out their focus is on oral microbes. So you might not want to apply for this if you do not want to do research on microbiome, especially on oral microbes in the future

So I also applied for Clinical Research MRes at Imperial. I think it is a better choice for a nutriton student
or you might want to get a degree in marketing/ management MSc, it is quite useful if you are going to food industry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (118)
4.95%
Uncertainty around my education (353)
14.81%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (261)
10.95%
Lack of purpose or motivation (335)
14.06%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (108)
4.53%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (139)
5.83%
Loneliness (206)
8.64%
Financial worries (88)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (100)
4.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (116)
4.87%
Lack of real life entertainment (127)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (208)
8.73%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (224)
9.4%

Watched Threads