Lion3245
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to try my hand at writing a novel, but how? I get so far, then fail. I want to write until the end and hopefully get it published, but I don't know how to start it and end it?

What would be the best way to write a novel?
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lion3245)
I want to try my hand at writing a novel, but how? I get so far, then fail. I want to write until the end and hopefully get it published, but I don't know how to start it and end it?

Wow, that's an ambitious venture, but definitely one worth pursuing...! You first need to have a burning idea - what do you want to write a novel about? There has to be an idea or a theme that you're interested in communicating to the world, so start from there. Then, decide on the genre: do you want to write dystopian fiction? Or is perhaps the epistolary novel more your thing? Or you're into romance / mystery / crime etc etc?

You'll also need a solid outline for the narrative. Let's assume the basic linear structure, so that would be start with an exposition, followed by a rising action, building up to a climax, then a falling action, ultimately leading to your resolution (or catastrophe / twist / cliffhanger, depending on the nature of your ending). But of course, many novels choose to start 'in medias res', or incorporate flash-backs and flash-forwards in the narrative.

These are just some ideas to hopefully get you started! Writing a novel is a mammoth task, to say the least, so make sure you know why you're doing it in the first place. The motivation is no less important than the craft...!
Last edited by Hyperbolit; 5 months ago
TabithaFord99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Lion3245)

It's difficult to give advice on this because you don't say why you "fail". You say you get "so far" - how far? And what are the problems you run into? Identifying what the issues are that you are struggling with can help you overcome these.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.54%
I'm not sure (46)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (514)
48.86%

Watched Threads