The Student Room Group

Starting 3rd year of uni this year, fear being friendless

I've made many threads on here explaining my experiences at university being so miserable and lonely. I fear that my last year at uni will be the same. I'm also kind of optimistic that something will change.
We do group research projects with other students from different courses, I'm thinking maybe this will be a platform for me to venture out into others and hopefully form a friendship out of it? I know it's going to be my last year but I want to be happy with the remaining time I have left because I have been DEPRESSED and HURT of my experiences in uni in my first and second years and I could do with some uplifting experiences for my third years. Does anyone have any advice? Societies in my uni..... you know, I have TRIED. Every time I've made an effort, not worth it. I've gained NOTHING... however, I'm desperate and will try AGAIN.... so with that being said. Does anyone have any advice for me? How to make friends?
Original post by Anonymous
I've made many threads on here explaining my experiences at university being so miserable and lonely. I fear that my last year at uni will be the same. I'm also kind of optimistic that something will change.
We do group research projects with other students from different courses, I'm thinking maybe this will be a platform for me to venture out into others and hopefully form a friendship out of it? I know it's going to be my last year but I want to be happy with the remaining time I have left because I have been DEPRESSED and HURT of my experiences in uni in my first and second years and I could do with some uplifting experiences for my third years. Does anyone have any advice? Societies in my uni..... you know, I have TRIED. Every time I've made an effort, not worth it. I've gained NOTHING... however, I'm desperate and will try AGAIN.... so with that being said. Does anyone have any advice for me? How to make friends?

To make friends, you need to be proactive - don't let your experiences from the previous people affect how you approach people. Doing the group research projects will help in terms of meeting new people. If you feel you click with certain people, you could arrange to meet up for a coffee or lunch.

I would still recommend going to societies at the start of third year as you may meet new students who you get on well with. Attending socials regularly mean that people in the society will get to know your face a bit better and they may speak to get to know you better. Also consider joining different societies - at the same time, you may also widen your personal interests! If you have time, applying for a position on a committee could be a good idea - it means you will be in constant contact with the other members of the committee and get to know them better. Having a position of responsibility can also look good on job applications.

Volunteering is another idea - not only do you give back to the community and it can look good on your CV. Sometimes positions are posted in your Student Union - select the ones you find interesting.
do some people not just say 'hey' to the people they sit next in class?

other than the people i live with, my best friend at uni is a guy i asked for help just because we were next to each other in a lecture

Nothing is going to change unless you change whatever it was you were doing, which wasnt working.
3rd year is the most difficult.

1. 3rd years are cliqued.
2. Your social skills arent great.
3. You will be busy with finals.
4. You can smell desperation.

My advice would be :

1. Focus on your exams and getting the best degree you can. That is what you are there for.
2. Start thinking now how to improve your social skills and where the best place to make friends might be.
3. Join clubs and societies that interest you , get over the clique hump and practice your polished social skills. You are going to have to be positive , friendly and sociable.
4. I would be more interested in 1, sceptical about 3 unless you stick with them and you know how to deal with situations if people arent speaking to you, rather than quitting and running away. . What I would do is look for clubs that involve doing things or do some volunteering thats a project. If people see you are working at the same things i.e a charity project they tend to accept yopu as part of the team more easily.
5. Theres still a chance you can make coursemate friends as there are always new options and groups.
6. Keep your expectations realistic.

When you hit a bump you have to roll with it rather thna getting hurt.
You have at least 3 months to reinvent parts of you, gain some confidence, get on top of the depression and practice social skills.
You know what? same here, starting 3rd year soon.
I guess just focus on studying and make friends later in life.
ppl don't really look for friends in their 3rd year (heck, not even in 2nd, not enough time to invest in someone else outside of their group). so it's hard to find a friend.
Work hard, get a good job, move to another city and find friends there.

I feel the exact same. I struggled with my mental health during my time at uni so have struggled immensely with the social side of it. I am worried that because uni is online, there are less opportunities to talk to people. I am going to try and get involved in anything i can on the side that i am interested, even if they are online. We can do this. Be yourself and not scared in social situations. Smile and be open.
Reply 6
Original post by cheesecakelove
To make friends, you need to be proactive - don't let your experiences from the previous people affect how you approach people. Doing the group research projects will help in terms of meeting new people. If you feel you click with certain people, you could arrange to meet up for a coffee or lunch.

I would still recommend going to societies at the start of third year as you may meet new students who you get on well with. Attending socials regularly mean that people in the society will get to know your face a bit better and they may speak to get to know you better. Also consider joining different societies - at the same time, you may also widen your personal interests! If you have time, applying for a position on a committee could be a good idea - it means you will be in constant contact with the other members of the committee and get to know them better. Having a position of responsibility can also look good on job applications.

Volunteering is another idea - not only do you give back to the community and it can look good on your CV. Sometimes positions are posted in your Student Union - select the ones you find interesting.

Thank you for your advice. Hopefully I'll have a good experience with the people for the group research project.

I'll try the societies again, but with a different approach.

I've already done volunteering but didn't gain anything from it, I was cordial with the other colleagues but it felt like no one wanted to make the move with me like I did with them. But I'll try volunteering again, this time in uni, and see where it leads me. I'll look for any interesting positions nearer the time.

Hi,
I might have the same problem. I have always been kinda competitive, always aimed for the best and achieved it, which caused a underline hate toward me. It is sad, but I think it is vaguely true. I am on my second year and I don't really feel that I have connected with many people within the university context - and I learnt to live with it. Thus, don't get upset or mad about this. You can still enjoy your time alone or just with that friend that you might have.
I work full time as well, therefore I don't have much time to spend with other people and go hunting friendships - which might be a reason why I don't have many friends at uni... I suggest to sign up for some volunteering or...again... societies.
Reply 8
Original post by HoldThisL
do some people not just say 'hey' to the people they sit next in class?

other than the people i live with, my best friend at uni is a guy i asked for help just because we were next to each other in a lecture

I've been doing that, saying hello, how was your weekend etc but the conversation dries up less than 2 mins. I'm just getting no where with my classmates but who knows what 3rd year may bring, maybe they'll open up more but idk.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Nothing is going to change unless you change whatever it was you were doing, which wasnt working.
3rd year is the most difficult.

1. 3rd years are cliqued.
2. Your social skills arent great.
3. You will be busy with finals.
4. You can smell desperation.

My advice would be :

1. Focus on your exams and getting the best degree you can. That is what you are there for.
2. Start thinking now how to improve your social skills and where the best place to make friends might be.
3. Join clubs and societies that interest you , get over the clique hump and practice your polished social skills. You are going to have to be positive , friendly and sociable.
4. I would be more interested in 1, sceptical about 3 unless you stick with them and you know how to deal with situations if people arent speaking to you, rather than quitting and running away. . What I would do is look for clubs that involve doing things or do some volunteering thats a project. If people see you are working at the same things i.e a charity project they tend to accept yopu as part of the team more easily.
5. Theres still a chance you can make coursemate friends as there are always new options and groups.
6. Keep your expectations realistic.

When you hit a bump you have to roll with it rather thna getting hurt.
You have at least 3 months to reinvent parts of you, gain some confidence, get on top of the depression and practice social skills.

Whatever I was doing, wasn't working. You are right.
I have more than enough time to get myself right and better so with the skills developed and improved I can apply it into practice.

1. 3rd years are cliqued. I'm worried that I won't have hope. But I'm optimistic that with the correct social skills and personality I will be able to connect and make friends with people.
I'm not so much desperate but it would be nice to have a friendship with at least someone during my time at uni.

1. My number 1 priority has always been on my degree.
2. I'm going to be doing lots of research and soul searching to improve my social skills.
3 & 4. I'm going to join clubs and societies that interest me and attend with a positive and friendly approach. Also going to look for job and volunteering opportunities nearer the time.
5. I don't think there is any hope with my course-mates I've tried every approach, offered to meet up for break etc I'm just getting no where. I do think I have hope with the group research project as it's with different students from different courses.
You know what? same here, starting 3rd year soon.
I guess just focus on studying and make friends later in life.
ppl don't really look for friends in their 3rd year (heck, not even in 2nd, not enough time to invest in someone else outside of their group). so it's hard to find a friend.
Work hard, get a good job, move to another city and find friends there.

Its refreshing seeing others have a similar experience.
Yes, my top priority has always been my degree and focusing on studying, learning etc. I'm starting to think maybe friends will come later, whatever career or job field I decide. I might have luck and find them in my final year but who knows if it will be lifelong or temporary?

You would think people would be open to all regardless of what year you are in. But idk. It is hard to find a friend cause everyone is already or seemed to be fixed with members of their group, so....

Anyway.... I can't wait to hopefully graduate from uni so I can move to another city and start my real life there, cause what's happening in this city is not working.
Good luck to you for 3rd year!
I feel the exact same. I struggled with my mental health during my time at uni so have struggled immensely with the social side of it. I am worried that because uni is online, there are less opportunities to talk to people. I am going to try and get involved in anything i can on the side that i am interested, even if they are online. We can do this. Be yourself and not scared in social situations. Smile and be open.

It's refreshing seeing someone go through a similar experience. In my 2nd year I felt incredibly lonely and miserable like this is really what it is... this is my university experience. I felt so awful, everyday. I would come home just crying in my room just thinking it's my fault. My mental health wasn't that bad but I just felt so lonely, honestly and truly. So alone, with no one physically and emotionally around. I also struggled with the social side too, I don't know why but I just did. It was a shock for me cause I was so sociable and friendly in my college and school years. I don't think it was much of me being the problem, I think it was the type of people I was around and the environment.

Who knows what university will be like when everything is over with. If it's online then I'm probably doomed cause there may not be much opportunities to talk and connect to people. Anyway, when I resume I'm going to try everything I did, all social events, clubs and societies I'm going to attend, but with a friendly, and improved social skills approach. Getting myself involved in any activity that interests me, being friendly and open to all and just hope it works.
Good luck to you and your uni experience!
Hi,
I might have the same problem. I have always been kinda competitive, always aimed for the best and achieved it, which caused a underline hate toward me. It is sad, but I think it is vaguely true. I am on my second year and I don't really feel that I have connected with many people within the university context - and I learnt to live with it. Thus, don't get upset or mad about this. You can still enjoy your time alone or just with that friend that you might have.
I work full time as well, therefore I don't have much time to spend with other people and go hunting friendships - which might be a reason why I don't have many friends at uni... I suggest to sign up for some volunteering or...again... societies.

Hii. Sorry you experienced that. But you should always aim for the best, people can be so cruel. Take no notice and do you.
I can agree with you, I haven't connected with anyone.
In my 1st year I did, with two girls. 1 dropped out whereas the other stopped talking and hanging around me.
In my 2nd year, I have been jumping from one group of people to the next, where I don't fit in. Tried to get to know people personally and it just never worked. It felt so sad, me putting in the effort and the person on the other side isn't even trying.
I'm hoping for 3rd year to be positive and uplifting.

I understand you can enjoy uni being alone and such.. but I don't even have 1 friend, I don't even have a soul who I classify as a friend. Just a bunch of acquaintances who haven't tried to get to know me personally like I have with them. It's hurtful, always being the one to make the move.

I'm just going to continue focusing on my work, improve my social skills and find friends later, maybe one might approach me someday and we'll form something stronger.
But I'm not going to let it get to me like it did in my 2nd year because I was honestly so depressed and miserable.
Whatever happens, happens!

i'm in the exact situation so honestly don't have any advice :/ , i've also tried a variety of things and feel like i am quite social but nothing seems to work. let us know if u figure it out and drop a message if u want to talk :smile:
Yes, my top priority has always been my degree and focusing on studying, learning etc. I'm starting to think maybe friends will come later, whatever career or job field I decide. I might have luck and find them in my final year but who knows if it will be lifelong or temporary?

You would think people would be open to all regardless of what year you are in. But idk. It is hard to find a friend cause everyone is already or seemed to be fixed with members of their group, so....

Anyway.... I can't wait to hopefully graduate from uni so I can move to another city and start my real life there, cause what's happening in this city is not working.

The point is make an effort, improve the tools you have to make friends and adjust your strategy. Dont put everything on things changing. they may do or they may not. Get your degree and try elsewhere. I think the volunteering is better because it helps your cv and gives you something to do.

Good luck to you too! I am sociable and have a lot of friends in high school, something about my uni peers just doesn't click. I spent a lot of my time wondering what's wrong, then decide I should focus on my degree instead. Hopefully, I can find new friends wherever I'm moving to.
Hii. Sorry you experienced that. But you should always aim for the best, people can be so cruel. Take no notice and do you.
I can agree with you, I haven't connected with anyone.
In my 1st year I did, with two girls. 1 dropped out whereas the other stopped talking and hanging around me.
In my 2nd year, I have been jumping from one group of people to the next, where I don't fit in. Tried to get to know people personally and it just never worked. It felt so sad, me putting in the effort and the person on the other side isn't even trying.
I'm hoping for 3rd year to be positive and uplifting.

I understand you can enjoy uni being alone and such.. but I don't even have 1 friend, I don't even have a soul who I classify as a friend. Just a bunch of acquaintances who haven't tried to get to know me personally like I have with them. It's hurtful, always being the one to make the move.

I'm just going to continue focusing on my work, improve my social skills and find friends later, maybe one might approach me someday and we'll form something stronger.
But I'm not going to let it get to me like it did in my 2nd year because I was honestly so depressed and miserable.
Whatever happens, happens!

Hi, thank you. I will always be competitive in my uni work, even if this means pushing away people and not having many friends.
Fact: I know a bunch of people who have low grades, but they have a great social life. What do you think about this?

Do you think I came to uni to party and get drunk every 2 days? No, not at all. I moved from another country to the Uk to get a higher education and be someone in life - not to get average grades and spend my money on alcohol.
Don't get me wrong - I am a dancer so I love clubbing and partying, but not every night. It would just demolish all the uni work and take my concentration away from my studies.

I know how you feel - unfortunately, people don't put much work on friendships and tend to stick to their old group from school ( if they have one). I also think that is something it is meant to happen, it will happen eventually. So I think struggling to do something will not bring so many benefits to us - just live your life like there is no tomorrow and appreciate the things you have.
With this situation going into the world atm, I realized that you never know when your time comes, so again - live like there is no tomorrow and let it be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending