redahaha
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
im trying to find out what admissions test i will need to take in november to apply for history and politics. everything is sort of confusing online, saying i dont need to take one but i know that last year's applicants did. any clarity would be vvvvv helpful
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Oxford or Cambridge? I know for ox it’s HAT and Cambridge is pretty easy to find out
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Cambridge is sometimes at interview depending on the college. Some colleges will do an assessment on the interview day while others won’t
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by redahaha)
im trying to find out what admissions test i will need to take in november to apply for history and politics. everything is sort of confusing online, saying i dont need to take one but i know that last year's applicants did. any clarity would be vvvvv helpful
Last year's did, yes but this year it has been removed - the tests were introduced after A-Level reforms in England (AS scores were really useful and they don't have them anymore), but were always a pilot. The tests used didn't prove very useful - it's taken a couple of years to see how students perform in Cambridge exams and if that correlated with how they did in the pre-interview assessment (it didn't provide anything useful in the end). That's why they aren't doing it this year.

Individual colleges may choose to set their own assessment - probably for the history side more than anything - and if they do, this will be sat at-interview in December if you are invited. You can see if they're going to do this by looking at the subject page on the college website.

It might take a bit longer yet to decide if they will set one, so just keep checking back on their websites for now to see if there are any changes.
Last edited by Paralove; 6 months ago
redahaha
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Paralove)
Last year's did, yes but this year it has been removed - the tests were introduced after A-Level reforms in England (AS scores were really useful and they don't have them anymore), but were always a pilot. The tests used didn't prove very useful - it's taken a couple of years to see how students perform in Cambridge exams and if that correlated with how they did in the pre-interview assessment (it didn't provide anything useful in the end). That's why they aren't doing it this year.

Individual colleges may choose to set their own assessment - probably for the history side more than anything - and if they do, this will be sat at-interview in December if you are invited. You can see if they're going to do this by looking at the subject page on the college website.

It might take a bit longer yet to decide if they will set one, so just keep checking back on their websites for now to see if there are any changes.
thank you so so SO much, the clarity is very comforting. i will keep checking
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by redahaha)
thank you so so SO much, the clarity is very comforting. i will keep checking
No problem. I will say definitely don't be put off if a college does have one - look at it as another opportunity in which to prove yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads