The Student Room Group

revision/studying

What is the best way to study/revise for a test?? do you recommend any websites..I am struggling to study so next year i can be smarter and get the best grades possible for GCSE, then go to a good university/college
p a s t p a p e r s and nothing else

if you want maximum output from minimal effort, don't bother rewriting notes, flashcards or memory test - just do the exams open-book since that requires you to recall and remember old knowledge and format it correctly
Quizlet!
Reply 3
maths genie or snap revise
Reply 4
Do a lot of 'active recall'- you can search it up on YouTube.

Also do a lot of 'blurting'. Get a topic and write everything you know about it, in a 10 minute timer (for example). Then after 10 mins, check your textbooks and see which information you missed out- write this in a different-coloured pen. Then understand the reason why you missed out those info for example: maybe you only read it once before, you didn't create enough visual diagrams in your head, you didn't understand it. Then find ways in solving this problem. Repeat this 2 days after and see if you had more things written. This obviously doesn't work for maths but does for science (for example). As someone stated above, past papers would be good for maths.

Active recall and blurting are the best way to remember AO1. To do the AO2 and AO3 questions, past papers would be the way to do it, as well as the textbook questions.

And with regards to "websites": I don't think it matters. You should develop the skill of finding any random (potentially useless) website and still be able to get all your information from it. Try develop this skill. But it is subject-specific though.

Quick Reply

Latest