Online classes or face to face?

Watch this thread
anthonyanto6655
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,
I am a 2nd year university student and I want to ask you a simple question:
How many of you think that teaching will be delivered online in September?

Let's hear some opinions!
stenamb5
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I think that face to face will only be allowed in september if a vaccine is made and distributed
Last edited by stenamb5; 2 years ago
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I think lectures will be online but smaller group classes will be face to face.
anthonyanto6655
Rep:
(Original post by stenamb5)
I think that face to face will only be allowed in september if a vaccine is made and distributed
yes, I totally agree. It also depends on how people/students feel. In other words, students might feel scared by thinking of going into campus and spending there a few hours... so they would only rely on things that can be found on Moodle.
Personally, I think I wouldn't be too bothered by the fact of studying at home / attending webinars/video chats etc...
Our uni closed at the beginning of March, so we have been having classes online. I must say that I enjoyed them and found them useful: we did the same thing that we would have done in a classroom, so I think now management is taking into account delivering classes online in September.
anthonyanto6655
Rep:
(Original post by Treetop321)
I think lectures will be online but smaller group classes will be face to face.
I don't really see the point of that tbh. The virus can be transmitted even in a small class, so it is either all or nothing. As I said, I have been doing online classes for a month and I have really enjoyed them. We did the same thing that we would have done in a classroom, so I think now management is taking into account delivering classes online in September.
anthonyanto6655
Rep:
Nothing is set in stones yet, but there is the possibility though. Have you uni taken a final decision already?
Our uni said that they will make decisions by June
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anthonyanto6655)
yes, I totally agree. It also depends on how people/students feel. In other words, students might feel scared by thinking of going into campus and spending there a few hours... so they would only rely on things that can be found on Moodle.
Personally, I think I wouldn't be too bothered by the fact of studying at home / attending webinars/video chats etc...
Our uni closed at the beginning of March, so we have been having classes online. I must say that I enjoyed them and found them useful: we did the same thing that we would have done in a classroom, so I think now management is taking into account delivering classes online in September.
So you're saying you'll accept substandard teaching and lack of access to resources?
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I don't really see the point of that tbh. The virus can be transmitted even in a small class, so it is either all or nothing. As I said, I have been doing online classes for a month and I have really enjoyed them. We did the same thing that we would have done in a classroom, so I think now management is taking into account delivering classes online in September.
Someone doesn't understand how this works.

Online classes are ****e, and I think you need to think about others before subscribing to a system that is discriminatory.
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
That sounds good. I'd like that. What uni?

Shame on cancelling freshers. I'm sure they can run something later.
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
All I can say is I hope tf not. I'm not paying to sit and wallow at home while I have to somehow work through the amount of work I find tough to handle when I'm in the correct mindset and can see people.
anthonyanto6655
Rep:
I see - as far as I am concerned, induction will be done online. Dunno yet about freshers, but I am positive that it will be cancelled
anthonyanto6655
Rep:
(Original post by vicvic38)
So you're saying you'll accept substandard teaching and lack of access to resources?
In my opinion, online teaching does not mean "substandard teaching", since we will be live with the lectures on Zoom (or any other apps) and we will be able to ask questions, as we would do in class. As far as I have seen, 2 or 3 people ask questions during tutorials, so that will not be a problem anyway. Also, emailing the lecture is always a feasible option.
In terma os access to resources, I don't understand why you think there will be a lack of them. They will still be available online, as always. Personally, I think in 2 years I took 2 books on loan from the uni library since I have always used online journals, books, articles etc... and I have never scored less them 75%.
anthonyanto6655
Rep:
Someone doesn't understand how this works.

Online classes are ****e, and I think you need to think about others before subscribing to a system that is discriminatory.
I would highly appreciate if you could clarify your point.
This decision is a feasible option for UK universities, so I think you should start to get into that mindset.
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
In my opinion, online teaching does not mean "substandard teaching", since we will be live with the lectures on Zoom (or any other apps) and we will be able to ask questions, as we would do in class. As far as I have seen, 2 or 3 people ask questions during tutorials, so that will not be a problem anyway. Also, emailing the lecture is always a feasible option.
In terma os access to resources, I don't understand why you think there will be a lack of them. They will still be available online, as always. Personally, I think in 2 years I took 2 books on loan from the uni library since I have always used online journals, books, articles etc... and I have never scored less them 75%.
I have friends where they have labs at least 15 hours a week. You can't teach Physics, chemistry etc without labs, by definition those would be substandard without labs. Also, I don't know about your university, but at mine the vast majority of people rely heavily on textbooks and things they have in the libraries, as their tutors actually prescribe proper reading lists.

My boyfriend does a lot of study that requires old, niche books that you can't just "get". He can't do his subject properly without library access.
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I would highly appreciate if you could clarify your point.
This decision is a feasible option for UK universities, so I think you should start to get into that mindset.
Not everyone has the equipment, the workspace, the internet access to do their course online. Moving courses online is then, by this nature, discriminatory. Just because it would work for you does not mean it can work for everyone.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Online I suspect, I've decided to take a few gap years.
anthonyanto6655
Rep:
I have friends where they have labs at least 15 hours a week. You can't teach Physics, chemistry etc without labs, by definition those would be substandard without labs. Also, I don't know about your university, but at mine the vast majority of people rely heavily on textbooks and things they have in the libraries, as their tutors actually prescribe proper reading lists.

My boyfriend does a lot of study that requires old, niche books that you can't just "get". He can't do his subject properly without library access.
I understand your point of view. I think we are very lucky to have everything that we need online and on the e-library. I also think that the lectures could scan the books that are needed and share them with the students!! I say this because once we had to write an essay and there was only one book available in the library. The lecture took the book, scanned the 200 pages and shared the pdf document with us. Very clever decision.
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I understand your point of view. I think we are very lucky to have everything that we need online and on the e-library. I also think that the lectures could scan the books that are needed and share them with the students!! I say this because once we had to write an essay and there was only one book available in the library. The lecture took the book, scanned the 200 pages and shared the pdf document with us. Very clever decision.
And for the entire university, when the Bodleian is being run on a skeleton staff and college libraries are completely shut? Wishful thinking.
anthonyanto6655
Rep:
Not everyone has the equipment, the workspace, the internet access to do their course online. Moving courses online is then, by this nature, discriminatory. Just because it would work for you does not mean it can work for everyone.
I am not saying this under any circumstances. I am saying this because I think in 2020 everyone has a laptop and a wifi connection. What else do you need to attend a webinar? In case they didn't have a laptop, most universities around UK rent laptops and equipment that you might need.

Besides, during the whole month of April, things worked fine for everyone that took online classes with me.
I am a student ambassador and a student REP so please don't tell me that I only look at my situation, as I always hear everyone's opinion and work with the university to provide the best service that we can.
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The volume of everyone who doesn't even think about other subjects is deafening.

I'm very lucky that I'm a mathematician and can basically do my course where I like, but I am acutely aware of people who do not have that luxury, and rely heavily on textbooks and labs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (86)
19.5%
The paper was reasonable (167)
37.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (118)
26.76%
It was TERRIBLE (70)
15.87%

Watched Threads