RebmaKopy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Wrote an essay and if anyone is interested in reading and responding please do, would love feedback to it. Thanks!

Q. Outline and evaluate the role of neural and hormonal mechanisms in aggression. (AO1 only)

In relation to neural mechanisms the limbic system responsible for coordinating the behaviours that are brought about from the emotional urges, in particular fear and aggression. Of which the system consists of many regions, particularly the amygdala which quickly evaluates emotional importance of sensory information to prompt a response and the hippocampus which enables comparisons of current experiences with similar past experiences.
In this way is the limbic system able to generate responses of aggression if present with a threatening stimulus. Brain abnormalities can also explain why an individual may behave overly aggressive despite being in environments that may show few and little stimuli to provoke the response. An impaired hippocampus, for instance, prevents the autonomic nervous system from associating the encountered situation to previously relevant experiences and as such results in the amygdala responding inappropriately to the sensory stimulus; resulting in aggressive behaviour.

The neurotransmitter serotonin, is involved in the communication of neural impulses across the brain, exerting an inhibitory response that slows the rate of firing of impulses within the neurones. In relation to the amygdala normal levels of serotonin can regulate the emotional importance of stimuli, creating a greater degree of behavioural self control, however, lower levels fail to do so and as such result in the individual acting on impulse, making aggression more likely.
Frank254
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hello, I think the essay is okay. You would have also outlined other hormones such as Dopamine, testosterone and Cortisol. Since the question is asking for AO1 Only.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (74)
37.95%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (31)
15.9%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (9)
4.62%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (20)
10.26%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (22)
11.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (20)
10.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
9.74%

Watched Threads