The Student Room Group

Coronavirus Megathread Part II

Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages. You can also find practical advice for managing your mental health in the pandemic, including advice from clinical psychiatrist, here.

UPDATE 30 OCTOBER 2020
Boris Johnson announces new nationwide lockdown. BBC news story.
'From Thursday until the start of December, you must stay home.
Except for education, work (if you can't work at home), for exercise, for medical, to escape injury/harm, to shop for essential services or to provide care.
All non-essential shops and services will be closed. Pubs, bars and restaurants must close except for takeaways.
Single adult households can form bubbles with one other household and children will be able to move between homes of separated parents.
Asking vulnerable to minimise their contact with others.
We will extend the furlough system until December - there will be some differences.
Schools, colleges and universities will remain open.
Unless your clinicians tell you otherwise, you should continue to use NHS services.
These measures will be debated in parliament on Wednesday, and if passed, will take effect on Thursday.'

Previous thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6375456

@MrDystopia feel free to take over if required.

Please keep this thread on topic. All off topic and offensive posts will be removed.

Report posts or tag us if required.

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you for creating this thread.
Original post by bj27
First

Probably best to tag the key people from the other thread, so they know about this one.

, is this allowed?
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_1800
Probably best to tag the key people from the other thread, so they know about this one.

@ecolier, is this allowed?

You just want the first post :biggrin:.
Back to serious matters. 468 people dead from Covid, this is just going to continue isn't it? Like Australia have 98 deaths from Covid while we have 34k lmao. That's why Australia are reopening and that's why we are not. People don't get this simple point tbh.
(edited 3 years ago)
tagging (can't be bothered to find anyone else and will edit if needed)

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by bj27
Back to serious matters. 468 people dead from Covid, this is just going to continue isn't it? Like Australia have 98 deaths from Covid while we have 34k lmao. That's why Australia are reopening and that's why we are not. People don't get this simple point tbh.

It will be interesting to see the rolling averages on Tuesday, but I don't get the impression we are genuinely going down the curve at present, if anything we appear to be going sideways. I suspect the school opening and lockdown relaxation have been called for a few weeks too early. The outcome will be another big spike for the NHS towards the end of the month and into early June.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It will be interesting to see the rolling averages on Tuesday, but I don't get the impression we are genuinely going down the curve at present, if anything we appear to be going sideways. I suspect the school opening and lockdown relaxation have been called for a few weeks too early. The outcome will be another big spike for the NHS towards the end of the month and into early June.

Look at date of death data. We are definitely way past the peak.
Reply 7
Original post by MrMusician95

Past a peak and still at around 400 deaths a day.

Remember we are having 4 times more deaths a day than Australia have had across this whole crisis. It's interesting that the countries with the worst cases in the western world are the ones ran by people who didn't want to shut down the economy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MrMusician95

Yes, I wasn't arguing the peak was still to come (although personally I have a long held suspicion that we are only in the early stages and a more aggressive viral wave will emerge in due course) but that the downward curve was not particularly steep and we may be much longer coming out of it, due to the very stupid policies of our government, for example, completely unmonitored inward travel to the UK is still being done, distancing has not been done well, masks are not compulsory in public places, etc.
Original post by bj27
Past a peak and still at around 400 deaths a day.

Remember we are having 4 times more deaths a day than Australia have had across this whole crisis. It's interesting that the countries with the worst cases in the western world are the ones ran by people who didn't want to shut down the economy.

Not all the deaths happened in the 24 hour period.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes, I wasn't arguing the peak was still to come (although personally I have a long held suspicion that we are only in the early stages and a more aggressive viral wave will emerge in due course) but that the downward curve was not particularly steep and we may be much longer coming out of it, due to the very stupid policies of our government, for example, completely unmonitored inward travel to the UK is still being done, distancing has not been done well, masks are not compulsory in public places, etc.

I don't know in what world where past a peak yet still having 400 deaths a day (not including unrecorded which is nearly double by excess death data) is in any way a good thing. We're going to get a second wave because of these idiots in charge.

Canada are doing fine as well. It's almost as if working together with authorities and staff instead of partisanship and deflecting blame gets things done.

When the minister for health who's not worked a day in his life in the medical labs or in a hospital is telling people to stop using so much PPE when their coworkers are dying you know this country's done for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by TigerRoll
Not all the deaths happened in the 24 hour period.

Yes but these deaths are usually lower than midweek Wednesday and Thursday generally are the highest totals. Sunday will probably be a bit lower and it's probably going to go up again on Tuesday.
Original post by bj27
Yes but these deaths are usually lower than midweek Wednesday and Thursday generally are the highest totals. Sunday will probably be a bit lower and it's probably going to go up again on Tuesday.

We'll see what happens.
Original post by bj27

Lol, i dont
Reply 14
Original post by TigerRoll
We'll see what happens.

Remember the total is at least 1.5x the death total when you consider the amount of unrecorded covid deaths like people dying at home.
Original post by bj27
When the minister for health who's not worked a day in his life in the medical labs or in a hospital is telling people to stop using so much PPE when their coworkers are dying you know this country's done for.

Just one of a number of appalling things he and his sleazy fellow ministers have said and done.

Astonishing to think that this load of lazy, callous and over-privileged idiots consider themselves to be able to manage the UK through Brexit.
Original post by bj27

The deaths reported in the previous 24 hours didn't all occur in that period. Sometimes the deaths reported can go back several weeks, sometimes even into March.

The below graph from the Oxford Centre for Evidence Based Medicine gives a clearer picture of the situation in NHS hospitals in England.

Reply 17
Original post by Smack
The deaths reported in the previous 24 hours didn't all occur in that period. Sometimes the deaths reported can go back several weeks, sometimes even into March.

The below graph from the Oxford Centre for Evidence Based Medicine gives a clearer picture of the situation in NHS hospitals in England.

Still lots of deaths and we've just opened up restrictions in England so every possibility it may rise.
Original post by bj27
Still lots of deaths and we've just opened up restrictions in England so every possibility it may rise.

To be honest your opinion doesn't really does it though. You made it clear another thread how happy you are with this lockdown. You just don't understand that me and millions of another students miss their friends and want to be back to normal, Video calling and texting only goes so far, for example I tried it this evening and my internet connection couldn't even work for me to talk to them so I have had to sit with family I don't even like when if this wasn't happening I would be in university with my friends having fun
Reply 19
Original post by thestudent1000
To be honest your opinion doesn't really does it though. You made it clear another thread how happy you are with this lockdown. You just don't understand that me and millions of another students miss their friends and want to be back to normal, Video calling and texting only goes so far, for example I tried it this evening and my internet connection couldn't even work for me to talk to them so I have had to sit with family I don't even like when if this wasn't happening I would be in university with my friends having fun

Not my problem. Welcome to the thread btw.

Latest