The Student Room Group

Is Further Maths important for uni (engineering)

I have been going to further maths classes for the whole of year 12 but I don't really plan on carry it on next year. I was wondering how important it is for engineering at uni and if it would be a good I dea to mention that I have been learning furthemaths content in my personal statement or better to leave it out
Original post by User1881
I have been going to further maths classes for the whole of year 12 but I don't really plan on carry it on next year. I was wondering how important it is for engineering at uni and if it would be a good I dea to mention that I have been learning furthemaths content in my personal statement or better to leave it out

Maths and physics typically are the main subjects you need. If further maths is available to you then some of the very high ranking universities might question why you're not taking it, but otherwise I'm not aware of it mattering much. It would definitely be a good idea to write about it in your PS, though, and having knowledge of the content will give you a bit of a head-start to the maths content.
it will only matter for a few top ranking universities like Oxbridge and Imperial. Check the entry requirements if you plan studying at Oxford. Cambridge, Imperial, UCL and Durham. Otherwise it wont matter and some of these might not require it either.
As far as admissions, see above. In terms of what you will actually be using on the course, it will probably be mainly topics from the AS FM (matrices, complex numbers, more vectors and calculus work) but some topics from the full A-level FM may well be developed and used sooner or later on an engineering degree. It's worth keeping in mind you will be doing mathematical work on an engineering course pretty much every day throughout the degree, so if you are dropping FM because you don't like spending that much time doing mathematical problem solving, you may want to consider how realistic a choice of an engineering degree is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending