Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So I have an offer to study business management at uni, however, im having second thoughts on the course. Business was my best subject in school and im very interested in the various aspects/operations involved in running a functional organization -- but im not too sure if its a useful course to study in uni, bc technically theres no real life skill that is "business".

My plans for the future entail possibly starting a business of my own, tho i acknowledge that becoming a successful entrepreneur rests entirely on learning first-handedly from the experiences of running ur own business, not if u went to school and studied "business management".
Does anyone have any thoughts they can contribute on this topic? Id greatly appreciate some insight!
Grizwuld
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
"successful entrepreneur" such people have ideas that are profitable. They also have the drive and ambition to do what it takes to succeed. You get neither ideas or ambition at any college/school or other teaching source.

Business administration is just that - administration. As a small business person you can learn it, as you go if necessary. If you are more successful you just hire staff as required.
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In my opinion, business management is a course that people study at university if they don’t know what to study but still want the “university experience”. It’s an easy way out. If you want business skills, you are much better off working in a business or doing an apprenticeship. You would have gained money, not spent it, and will already be progressing within a job or company. Universities are businesses after all and will do anything for your money.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
In my opinion, business management is a course that people study at university if they don’t know what to study but still want the “university experience”. It’s an easy way out. If you want business skills, you are much better off working in a business or doing an apprenticeship. You would have gained money, not spent it, and will already be progressing within a job or company. Universities are businesses after all and will do anything for your money.
Yes I agree that it’s common for ppl like me who aren’t sure what to study at uni. At the time I was choosing my course and writing an application, I didn’t know what other subjects I could see myself dedicating so much time studying for
JQzombie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes I agree that it’s common for ppl like me who aren’t sure what to study at uni. At the time I was choosing my course and writing an application, I didn’t know what other subjects I could see myself dedicating so much time studying for
Better to study and gain uni life experiences to hopefully get a better start out there (especially as i'm quite an introvert). Its a tough enough work climate out there already at the moment! I intend to study business starting Sept 2021 and see what possibilities come out of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (77)
17.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.04%

Watched Threads