anikaa101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The UK's democracy needs significant reform.
How far do you agree with this view? You must provide a balanced answer that considers both sides of the argument.
Teacher said to talk about minor parties and the system like one party system and all
Jumpybananas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you need help answering the question?
anikaa101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jumpybananas)
Do you need help answering the question?
yeah that could be great if you can give in some points.
Jumpybananas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay:

- First of all, start off with an intro a few lines long. Talk about what democracy system the UK has, i.e parliament. This isn't completly necessary, I just find it helpful for getting into the swing of writing

- Then you can talk about points for both sides of the argument. You can put these in any order you want

- Disagree: There are many parties. Mention the two dominant parties, and the fact that neither of them completely dominates. Then bring up the more minor parties, e.g Liberal Democrats, The Green Party. The fact that multiple parties exist supports the democracy of the country

- Agree: The amount of seats a party gets in parliament is not equivalent to how many votes they received. E.g. in the 2019 election the LibDems got 11.5% of the votes, but only 3% of the seats. You could say that the will of the people, which is the entire point of democracy, is not being represented (could mention the First Past the Post system here)

- Disagree: Overhauling the system would be chaotic. Even if large changes happened slowly, there would still be confusion and some people may not understand the new system. Could this lead to peoples' opinions being represented less?

- Agree: Whilst more than two parties exist, the only other party to even be in a coalition in more than the last 100 years is the LibDems. All other governments have had either a Labour or Conservative prime minister, and they often had a parliamentary majority. People tend to pick between these two just for tradition, and any parties that may more accurately represent their views (e.g. Green Party) tend to be ignored.

Expand on the points, add any others you think of, and then write a conclusion summarising what you've said. Hope this helps
anikaa101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jumpybananas)
Okay:

- First of all, start off with an intro a few lines long. Talk about what democracy system the UK has, i.e parliament. This isn't completly necessary, I just find it helpful for getting into the swing of writing

- Then you can talk about points for both sides of the argument. You can put these in any order you want

- Disagree: There are many parties. Mention the two dominant parties, and the fact that neither of them completely dominates. Then bring up the more minor parties, e.g Liberal Democrats, The Green Party. The fact that multiple parties exist supports the democracy of the country

- Agree: The amount of seats a party gets in parliament is not equivalent to how many votes they received. E.g. in the 2019 election the LibDems got 11.5% of the votes, but only 3% of the seats. You could say that the will of the people, which is the entire point of democracy, is not being represented (could mention the First Past the Post system here)

- Disagree: Overhauling the system would be chaotic. Even if large changes happened slowly, there would still be confusion and some people may not understand the new system. Could this lead to peoples' opinions being represented less?

- Agree: Whilst more than two parties exist, the only other party to even be in a coalition in more than the last 100 years is the LibDems. All other governments have had either a Labour or Conservative prime minister, and they often had a parliamentary majority. People tend to pick between these two just for tradition, and any parties that may more accurately represent their views (e.g. Green Party) tend to be ignored.

Expand on the points, add any others you think of, and then write a conclusion summarising what you've said. Hope this helps
oh wow, thank you so much.
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
anikaa101 Jumpybananas

im wondering what is the edexcel politics exam format like right now after the changes? anyone knows what Paper 1 to 4 entails? thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads