MattW02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
French A-Level is a weird one, I feel I am consistently not doing as well as other subjects. Does anyone have any good study tips? I have been using ANKI for long term learning of vocab which is great 100% recommend. Does anyone know how much vocab I would have to learn to be at an A* standard??
alwil92
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Matt, as a French teacher it's not all about the vocabulary you know. It's mainly about the grammar you can recognise and include in your own work (writing and speaking).
Make sure you can express your opinion, use passe compose (can't do accents on this computer, sorry), futur proche, futur simple, imparfait, subjunctive, conditional, etc
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What made a difference in my French a level and got me predicted A* (y13 now) was using and practicing the grammar in real life contexts. If you can get a pen pall or try using the HelloTalk app to use your grammar, it will help so much! I also recommend listening to french songs and podcasts as much as you can - even when you don't understand everything, you're getting used to listening for the words you do know and getting a general gist of what's being said. Depending on what motivates you, either an intermediate French learners podcast or a native speaker podcast would help.. the key is spending even 5 minutes per day listening carefully.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alwil92)
Hi Matt, as a French teacher it's not all about the vocabulary you know. It's mainly about the grammar you can recognise and include in your own work (writing and speaking).
Make sure you can express your opinion, use passe compose (can't do accents on this computer, sorry), futur proche, futur simple, imparfait, subjunctive, conditional, etc
^ this. You can always be periphrastic and think of a different way to express something to make up for poor vocab, but you will need to use a variety of tenses and moods to hit grade thresholds. For Spanish, I was memorising constructions with the past subjunctive rather than vocab!
More vocab is always a good thing, though, if you have time.
Espançais
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As pps have said, it's all about the grammar. A lot of people find it a big step up from gcses, more so than other subjects, because it requires a LOT of work outside the classroom to really consolidate the grammar, and to get comfortable with the language. If you haven't yet discovered languagesonline for grammar practice, I really recommend it.
I would also suggest watching/ listening to as many films, tv shows, "news in slow french" type programs etc as you can, because this really helps you to absorb the vocabulary and grammar. If you take notes of some of the new vocabulary and put it in a quizlet set to learn, you'll do even better.
JackDarley03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MattW02)
French A-Level is a weird one, I feel I am consistently not doing as well as other subjects. Does anyone have any good study tips? I have been using ANKI for long term learning of vocab which is great 100% recommend. Does anyone know how much vocab I would have to learn to be at an A* standard??
yeah, I feel the same. For my other subjects, I can just go sit down and learn stuff. But French is a much slower process, I guess I've just got to embrace that idea and do what I can.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (9)
12.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.71%
I need help with my personal statement (29)
41.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25.71%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.29%

Watched Threads