The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
On your UCAS application, you indicate your preferred college, or you can say no preference. Once you have been made an offer, you will be allocated a college soon after. If you accept the offer as your firm choice, you are guaranteed to have a room at that college. If it is your insurance, they try to give you that college but it is not guaranteed.

On results day, if you have met the conditions for the offer, your college allocation will be confirmed. Before the term begins, you will probably receive some sort of form where you indicate your room preference. I say probably because I only know that this process occurs at one of the colleges where all of the rooms are ensuite. I assume that if you prefer a shared or ensuite room, this is where you would indicate that. If you require an ensuite room for medical reasons, I think that you either indicate this on your UCAS form or contact the university separately.

Sorry that I couldn't answer all of the questions but I hope that this sheds some light on the process for you.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
If you don't submit this form, do you not get accommodation at all?
Reply 3
Original post by earlesstoaster1

You may not get a reply, as this is an old thread, so it may be helpful to make your own.

However, I believe you'd likely just be randomly allocated somewhere.
Original post by earlesstoaster1

If you are talking about the room preference form you will still get allocated a room but you will not be able to tell them you preference. For example it might happen that you will share a room with someone with a really different routine from you or that your flat might mostly have night owls while you are an early riser or vice versa. My suggestion is always to do the preference form and people should also be as honest as possible so they can match you with someone with a similar routine

Latest