ruby redford
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
What sort of subjects do universities want for a criminology degree or something along the lines of that?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I dont think there are any a level subject required for criminology but an essay subject is preferred. I suggest researching the unis you want to go to and check their entry requirements.
Broque_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
As said, generally, the only entry requirement asked for is an essay based subject. Many people highly recommend sociology or psychology as well, as these are strong essay based subjects which teach valuable research skills that are applicable to most criminology courses. They may also delve into topics such as forensic psychology (depending on what exam board you do, OCR I've heard does this) or crime and deviance in sociology which can be useful insight into the field.
For other subjects, I've read quite a number of people say English Literature is a very strong essay subject which universities like to see, however not doing it should not put you at any disadvantage.
A science could also be beneficial, as it is also listed in potential preferred subjects, however Psychology in itself is a valid science subject at A2, and if you're not particularly fond of science, you shouldn't put yourself through extra workload you have little interest in studying, as it'll be at minimum 5-10 hours per subject every week.
From all of this, Psychology and sociology, or Psychology/Sociology and an essay based subject seem like solid choices. However at the end of the day, do what you know you'll be successful in. Good luck!
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Broque_)
As said, generally, the only entry requirement asked for is an essay based subject. Many people highly recommend sociology or psychology as well, as these are strong essay based subjects which teach valuable research skills that are applicable to most criminology courses. They may also delve into topics such as forensic psychology (depending on what exam board you do, OCR I've heard does this) or crime and deviance in sociology which can be useful insight into the field.
For other subjects, I've read quite a number of people say English Literature is a very strong essay subject which universities like to see, however not doing it should not put you at any disadvantage.
A science could also be beneficial, as it is also listed in potential preferred subjects, however Psychology in itself is a valid science subject at A2, and if you're not particularly fond of science, you shouldn't put yourself through extra workload you have little interest in studying, as it'll be at minimum 5-10 hours per subject every week.
From all of this, Psychology and sociology, or Psychology/Sociology and an essay based subject seem like solid choices. However at the end of the day, do what you know you'll be successful in. Good luck!
PRSOM
ruby redford
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
PRSOM
thanks so much this is really helpful
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ruby redford)
What sort of subjects do universities want for a criminology degree or something along the lines of that?
I'd check some unis websites to see what they say and if there's any particular subjects they prefer/require.
As others have said, I think it's mainly essay based subjects that they prefer. Both sociology and psychology may be useful as they may have some crime based topics (I know there's the crime and deviance topic in sociology).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.64%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (54)
65.06%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
14.46%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (8)
9.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.2%

Watched Threads