The Student Room Group

PhD or DClinPsy?

I'd like to be a lecturer at some point, is it possible to be hired if I have a DClinPsy degree or is it strictly for PhD degrees?
You don't really need a Doctorate to do that, PGCE should be enough. You chances are better with Professional Doctorate unless you want to participate in some cutting edge experimental stuff.
my dad's fiancee has a dclinpsy and, although she's an nhs psychologist, she occasionally lectures at two universitites so expect its possible
Original post by hiroteehee
I'd like to be a lecturer at some point, is it possible to be hired if I have a DClinPsy degree or is it strictly for PhD degrees?

I would email some people at universities and ask their opinions of professional doctorates V PhD to work in academia.

I suspect a PhD will be better as presumably you will also work in research/more than just teach students. But I don't have a good feel for this particular field, the best thing to do is to ask people who already lecture in clinical psychology.

As for the PGCE (in post #2), i doubt this would be helpful if you want to work in academia, I tend to think of that for secondary school education.
Original post by mnot
I would email some people at universities and ask their opinions of professional doctorates V PhD to work in academia.

I suspect a PhD will be better as presumably you will also work in research/more than just teach students. But I don't have a good feel for this particular field, the best thing to do is to ask people who already lecture in clinical psychology.

As for the PGCE (in post #2), i doubt this would be helpful if you want to work in academia, I tend to think of that for secondary school education.

Nope, PGCE is what you need to lecture/teach at Uni.
Original post by hiroteehee

You can do lecturing with a DClinpsych, though this is more often a 'guest lecturer'. DCLinpsych is a lot more about therapy and applied psychology in mental health services

If you want to do lecturing you almost for sure need a PhD to do so

Original post by Damix985
You don't really need a Doctorate to do that, PGCE should be enough. You chances are better with Professional Doctorate unless you want to participate in some cutting edge experimental stuff.

I think you are referring to teaching? PGCE is for sure not a requirement, not useful to be a lecturer at uni
Original post by Noodlzzz
You can do lecturing with a DClinpsych, though this is more often a 'guest lecturer'. DCLinpsych is a lot more about therapy and applied psychology in mental health services

If you want to do lecturing you almost for sure need a PhD to do so

I think you are referring to teaching? PGCE is for sure not a requirement, not useful to be a lecturer at uni

Usually you start as some sort of teaching assistant with the idea of doing par time PGCE at the same time, also you need someone to sing off 6 months of teaching experience for you (hence the teaching assistant post). Professional Doctorate may include some QTS modules Ph.D surely does not.
If you want to teach some standardized professional modules, legit clinical stuff you must have PGCE, no need for doctorate but it is quite common.
Reply 7
Damix, you are simply wrong. PGCE is NOT a requirement for being a Uni lecturer. I am one and I have a PhD but not a PGCE. OP - PhD or Prof Doc would qualify you to teach in a Uni.
Original post by DrD_1598
Damix, you are simply wrong. PGCE is NOT a requirement for being a Uni lecturer. I am one and I have a PhD but not a PGCE. OP - PhD or Prof Doc would qualify you to teach in a Uni.

You a university lecturer without a teaching qualification or decades of experience? What modules do you teach?
Reply 9
You a university lecturer without a teaching qualification or decades of experience? What modules do you teach?

I'm a law lecturer, with law degree, masters, and PhD. Also Fellow of the HEA. Don't need a teaching qualification to teach in a University.
I'm a law lecturer, with law degree, masters, and PhD. Also Fellow of the HEA. Don't need a teaching qualification to teach in a University.

FHEA is effectively the same thing. Which you would know if you didn't just quickly copy pasted first thing from the Google...
FHEA is effectively the same thing. Which you would know if you didn't just quickly copy pasted first thing from the Google

I can guarantee FHEA is not effectively the same as a PGCE.
I can guarantee FHEA is not effectively the same as a PGCE.

""Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
If you can’t find funding or time to pursue a formal qualification, the HEA offers an alternative route based on your experience as an academic and peer observation (most PGCHE courses automatically qualify you for Fellowship of the HEA [FHEA] status).

The HEA places FHEA status as equivalent to a PGCHE, but not all universities see it that way—and few overseas universities would accept it as equivalent to their own required courses. However, for academics who have already worked in HE for many years and are concerned mainly with satisfying a requirement from management, achieving FHEA status can be a lifeline.""

You need a teaching qualification to teach, one way or another you will be pushed into QTS, FHEA is an apprenticeship version of PGCE or Scottish PGDE.
I plan to do some part time teaching and funded PGCE are the way to go.
""Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
If you can’t find funding or time to pursue a formal qualification, the HEA offers an alternative route based on your experience as an academic and peer observation (most PGCHE courses automatically qualify you for Fellowship of the HEA [FHEA] status).

The HEA places FHEA status as equivalent to a PGCHE, but not all universities see it that way—and few overseas universities would accept it as equivalent to their own required courses. However, for academics who have already worked in HE for many years and are concerned mainly with satisfying a requirement from management, achieving FHEA status can be a lifeline.""

You need a teaching qualification to teach, one way or another you will be pushed into QTS, FHEA is an apprenticeship version of PGCE or Scottish PGDE.
I plan to do some part time teaching and funded PGCE are the way to go.

Dude. FHEA is not an 'apprentice' anything . You write an essay and receive a reference and you are a HEA Fellow. It is not a teaching qualification regardless of what the HEA say. Do you want to be a Uni lecturer too?
Nope, PGCE is what you need to lecture/teach at Uni.

No, it isn't. Really, it isn't....
Usually you start as some sort of teaching assistant with the idea of doing par time PGCE at the same time, also you need someone to sing off 6 months of teaching experience for you (hence the teaching assistant post). Professional Doctorate may include some QTS modules Ph.D surely does not.
If you want to teach some standardized professional modules, legit clinical stuff you must have PGCE, no need for doctorate but it is quite common.

sources.
I have both PhD and DClinPsy, and held several academic posts during my career (No PGCE). I have balanced usually an NHS clinical post with a university academic post, or have had a clinical job with a strong research link somewhere.

Broadly, you can get university lecturing positions with either, but there are subtle differences in the posts you could get. You can 'guest' lecture with either. With a DClinpsy you are in a good position toto get a post on a DClinPsy course as a clinical, academic or research tutor. As a DClinPsy is a very specific practitioner doctorate, its a good platform for working in such a department -although your focus is more likely to be on getting trainees through training, as this is what you will be primarily hired for. You are also eligible for certain post doc, research therapist and other allied university roles with a DClinPsy. It is a really versatile qualification, but IMO it's possibly less helpful if you want to go down a pure research route, and I have had a few colleagues who have struggled to make the jump to professor level with just a practitoner doctorate.

A PhD is usually a pre-requisite for a research intensive university career, and moving towards becoming a primary investigator, winning your own grants, and going up the academic chain. In fact, the MRC and other bodies offer a post DClinPsy PhD route (a fellowship) to do this but this is usually much rarer for Clinical psychologists, as the vast majority end up working in purely clinical NHS posts. Many will have done a PhD before getting onto a DClinPsy, as it is excellent preparation for clinical training and is the route I took . On the downside, a PhD by itself doesn't allow you to do any clinical work and lacks the breadth you get with a DClinPsy.

Hope that helps, as I am aware there is a major lack of information around this in the public domain.

Quick Reply

Latest