The Student Room Group

I feel faint when in theatre

Hi, so I’m going down the career route of becoming a veterinary nurse, but on the odd occasion that I have been in theatre to watch I have to leave because I feel faint. Is being the surgery something you get used to over time or is this going to be a problem going forward.
I appreciate any advise.
It is definitely something you get used to, I haven't felt it to that level myself just sometimes a tiny bit queasy - it fades with experience however! \
I know people that have gone from full blown fainting in post mortems etc. to really getting involved and loving it

I would say make sure you've eaten plenty before you start and drank lots of water and just try not to focus on the faint feeling or it actually makes it worse. Of course its a difficult call cause it would be better to leave before you do faint but I think once you convince yourself you feel it you're just hyping it up to be worse.
For medicine at least, you're usually advised that you'll get used to it, and that you can always go down a non-surgical route if it's still a problem!
One of my friends full-on fainted in surgery, and she's still going into medicine.
Original post by Bubbles2092
Hi, so I’m going down the career route of becoming a veterinary nurse, but on the odd occasion that I have been in theatre to watch I have to leave because I feel faint. Is being the surgery something you get used to over time or is this going to be a problem going forward.
I appreciate any advise.

You'd normally get over this in time, I certainly did, but I'd want to be over it before you start the course. Make sure you've eaten and are not dehydrated and start with a relatively minor procedure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending