The Student Room Group

I want to drop my Masters degree but worried I will not be able to get funding again

I am nearing the end of my master's degree but I feel I cannot cope, I have had bad mental health problems for the whole duration of this course and I feel now I am at breaking point with it. I am concered as I already have claimed extenuating circumstances with Student Finance due to my undergrad being a problem for me also. I am unsure of how to approach things currently in regards to my master's degree. I just feel like I am not in a place to study currently and have too much going on
Original post by Ryan__90
I am nearing the end of my master's degree but I feel I cannot cope, I have had bad mental health problems for the whole duration of this course and I feel now I am at breaking point with it. I am concered as I already have claimed extenuating circumstances with Student Finance due to my undergrad being a problem for me also. I am unsure of how to approach things currently in regards to my master's degree. I just feel like I am not in a place to study currently and have too much going on

Go and see your GP, explain how your MH issues are affecting your studies and you dont feel you can carry on.
Explain this to uni support/ welfare and then to your pt.

Its a bit late in the day, but if you feel thats the way then suspend studies or drop out.

You then have to make a compelling personal reasons claim if you wish to try for funding again. If you cant cope, you cant cope and you have the GP to back you.

SFE will want to see evidence.
Original post by Ryan__90

I would second what @999tigger has said about seeking advice from your GP - in addition to getting mental health support, they can provide necessary documents for both your university and SFE if required.

I would also strongly recommend speaking with your university's support services. Even with campuses being shut down due to Covid-19, university support services are still active and can signpost you to your university's in-house mental health support services, as well help you to access additional funding and support (if you are eligible). They'll also be able to help you look at the options for continuing or withdrawing from your course, and can help you to apply for extenuating circumstances or a leave of absence if needed.

It's probably also a good idea to speak with your Masters supervisor (or with another tutor on the course if you prefer) and be honest about your struggles - that way they know what is going on with you and can tailor their advice accordingly. They can also offer support with extenuating circumstances/leave of absence requests.

Do bear in mind that the current situation with Covid-19 has left a lot of students facing mental health problems - and has exacerbated existing MH problems for others - so you are certainly not alone in this. Peer support can really help so consider also contacting the postgraduate officer or welfare officer at your student's union to seek their advice.

Hope that helps.

Amy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending