onionnn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Light is incident upon a piece of Crown Glass at an angle of 50°, what is the angle of refraction when it passes to air?

I keep getting error when I type it on my calculator is this a trick question?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by onionnn)
Light is incident upon a piece of Crown Glass at an angle of 50°, what is the angle of refraction when it passes to air?

You need to provide the refrective index values and direction of propagation (air to glass or glass toair) for someone to be able to help you properly. Have you come across total internal reflection BTW ? If you get an unphysical angle for the refracted ray then maybe it didnt refract but had to do something else .
onionnn
Rep:
?
its from the crown glass to air
ThiagoBrigido
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

What have you done so far?

n1sinø1 = n2sinø2

Refractive index :

air -- n=1.0
crown glass -- n = 1.52
onionnn
Rep:
?
the refractive index for crown glass I was given was 1.51
n1sinø1 = n2sinø2
1.51xsin(50)=1xsinø2
sin-1=1.51xsin(50)/1
error
Last edited by onionnn; 5 months ago
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
the refractive index for crown glass I was given was 1.51
n1sinø1 = n2sinø2
1.51xsin(50)=1xsinø2
sin-1=1.51xsin(50)
error
So what is total internal reflection and when does it happen ?
onionnn
Rep:
?
yes that is what the question is asking the light is passing from crown glass to air
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
yes that is what the question is asking the light is passing from crown glass to air
So when the maths gives you an unphysical answer, it means one of two things, (1) you did the maths wrong or (2) the maths does not apply to that physical situation and "breaks". Which one is it here. Have you done "critical angle" ?
onionnn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
So what is total internal reflection and when does it happen ?
TIR happens when n1>n2 and i>c
does that make the angle of refraction 90? I'm not sure
anyhow I've already tried to type that answer into the answer box but its still saying incorrect
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
TIR happens when n1>n2 and i>c
does that make the angle of refraction 90? I'm not sure
anyhow I've already tried to type that answer into the answer box but its still saying incorrect
Ok, for your situation you clearly have n1 > n2. Next you need to calculate the critical angle and see if it is bigger or smaller than the incidence angle. BTW for problems like this its ALWAYS a good idea to show a diagram to make sure you defined the angles in the right way relative to the normal.
onionnn
Rep:
?
Ok, for your situation you clearly have n1 > n2. Next you need to calculate the critical angle and see if it is bigger or smaller than the incidence angle. BTW for problems like this its ALWAYS a good idea to show a diagram to make sure you defined the angles in the right way
relative to the normal.
sinøc=n2/n1 sin-1=1/1.51 =41.47

I have tried to answer the question to two significant figures which gives 42 but its still saying incorrect
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ok, two thing here, if you want to type a "power", best to use a ^ sign so its clear that sin^-1 is inverse sin, and not sin minus 1. If your input angle is > critical angle then what happens to the light ray, does it refract ?
onionnn
Rep:
?
t by onionnn)
Ok, two thing here, if you want to type a "power", best to use a ^ sign so its clear that sin^-1 is inverse sin, and not sin minus 1. If your input angle is > critical angle then what happens to the light ray, does it refract ?
does that mean TIR occurs and doesn't refract?
onionnn
Rep:
?
Name:  Screenshot (3).png
Views: 19
Size:  92.1 KB
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yup, it cannot refract so has to reflect instead to obey energy and momentum conservation - we just invented the optical fibre - YAY !
onionnn
Rep:
?
Yup, it cannot refract so has to reflect instead to obey energy and momentum conservation - we just invented the optical fibre - YAY !
unfortunately, I have to type in an answer and I've tried 0.00 degrees since it requires a two significant figures answers and it asks me to try again, and this came up: An angle of 0∘ means that the light would be travelling perpendicularly away from the interface. Is that what you meant? If it is, then take another look at your equation, you may have got some values wrong.

i have also posted a picture of the question above for you to check if I misunderstood the question and worded it wrong
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

unfortunately, I have to type in an answer and I've tried 0.00 degrees since it requires a two significant figures answers and it asks me to try again, and this came up: An angle of 0∘ means that the light would be travelling perpendicularly away from the interface. Is that what you meant? If it is, then take another look at your equation, you may have got some values wrong.
Ok, try an angle relative to the surface normal that represents the ray reflecting back into the glass in that case. You might end up with a negative angle if so, thats fine physically.
onionnn
Rep:
?

Ok, try an angle relative to the surface normal that represents the ray reflecting back into the glass in that case. You might end up with a negative angle if so, thats fine physically.
and what might that be? could you give me an example?
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
and what might that be? could you give me an example?
Optical fibre uses TIR to guide light over long distances - pretty much the entire internet is carried that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MwMkBET_5I
onionnn
Rep:
?
Optical fibre uses TIR to guide light over long distances - pretty much the entire internet is carried that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MwMkBET_5I
i have an idea how optical fibre works i meant could you give me an answer that I could try typing into the answer box thanks in advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.25%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (643)
49.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise