The Student Room Group

What do you do if you have no GCSEs but don’t retake them?

So I have got no GCSEs and I’m not doing A levels. I have U grades in all my GCSEs because I did go in for most of them and I didn’t write anything down on the exams I did go in for. Some people who I was speaking to thought I have Maths and English GCSEs but don’t have the others but I don’t have Maths and English as well. I got U grades in everything. I can’t retake anything or do A Levels, it is a long story why. I have just been thinking what are my options now for my career because like I say retaking GCSEs or doing A levels aren’t an option.

Scroll to see replies

jobs that don't require gcses. honestly this seems pretty bleak
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I have got no GCSEs and I’m not doing A levels. I have U grades in all my GCSEs because I did go in for most of them and I didn’t write anything down on the exams I did go in for. Some people who I was speaking to thought I have Maths and English GCSEs but don’t have the others but I don’t have Maths and English as well. I got U grades in everything. I can’t retake anything or do A Levels, it is a long story why. I have just been thinking what are my options now for my career because like I say retaking GCSEs or doing A levels aren’t an option.

I’d say try and get at least English and maths. Either GCSE’s or Functional Skills or any other equivalent. I left school with only maths and English. I got kicked out of school and didn’t do any other subjects, but I’m about to graduate from uni now. I was only able to get into college to do A levels without the other GCSE’s on the basis that I had English/maths. If you wanna continue ur education I’d say try get those. Good luck xx
Reply 3
Original post by Embtp
I’d say try and get at least English and maths. Either GCSE’s or Functional Skills or any other equivalent. I left school with only maths and English. I got kicked out of school and didn’t do any other subjects, but I’m about to graduate from uni now. I was only able to get into college to do A levels without the other GCSE’s on the basis that I had English/maths. If you wanna continue ur education I’d say try get those. Good luck xx

Can you not read? I have said that CANT retake them but it’s a long story
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
jobs that don't require gcses. honestly this seems pretty bleak

What jobs though?
Reply 5
I would highly recommend you find any way possible to circumvent your current situation to be able to resit GCSE Maths and English to at least get some sort of qualification. If this is not possible, your other option would be to take a functional skills course which provides an alternative GCSE equivalent grade C qualification on English and Maths.
If you have no interest in pursuing A levels, have you thought about an apprenticeship, traineeship or vocational course?
If you have any unique skills, you could also try to create some sort of income in that field to at least get something you can put on your cv or resume.
Reply 6
Original post by Broque_
I would highly recommend you find any way possible to circumvent your current situation to be able to resit GCSE Maths and English to at least get some sort of qualification. If this is not possible, your other option would be to take a functional skills course which provides an alternative GCSE equivalent grade C qualification on English and Maths.
If you have no interest in pursuing A levels, have you thought about an apprenticeship, traineeship or vocational course?
If you have any unique skills, you could also try to create some sort of income in that field to at least get something you can put on your cv or resume.

Retaking GCSEs or doing A levels aren’t options for me but it is a long story why
Reply 7
Retaking GCSEs or doing A levels aren’t options for me but it is a long story why

Well, we've established that. No interest in an apprenticeship, traineeship or vocational course? You can take a level 2 apprenticeship equivalent to GCSE
Reply 8
Original post by Broque_
Well, we've established that. No interest in an apprenticeship, traineeship or vocational course? You can take a level 2 apprenticeship equivalent to GCSE

That is incorrect, GCSEs are a requirement for every apprentice
Reply 9

Lol, yes I can, hence why I said IF you want to continue with education, you need to find a way to try to. Doesn’t need to be in the same place. But with that attitude, good luck. Maybe you can get a job somewhere, but you’ll be limited to like retail, maybe construction and fast food. You might be able to find some admin jobs too. Hope you find something.
That is incorrect, GCSEs are a requirement for every apprentice

No. It's called an intermediate apprenticeship and is equivalent to 5 GCSE Pass grades. You can use this to progress into an advanced apprenticeship, a level 3 vocational course, work in the related field or continue a traineeship with the organisation you've been working with. There is no impossible entry requirement either.
I recommend reading further here: https://www.ucas.com/alternatives/apprenticeships/apprenticeships-england/what-apprenticeships-are-available/intermediate-apprenticeships
Original post by Embtp
Lol, yes I can, hence why I said IF you want to continue with education, you need to find a way to try to. Doesn’t need to be in the same place. But with that attitude, good luck. Maybe you can get a job somewhere, but you’ll be limited to like retail, maybe construction and fast food. You might be able to find some admin jobs too. Hope you find something.

Fine thanks
Original post by Broque_
No. It's called an intermediate apprenticeship and is equivalent to 5 GCSE Pass grades. You can use this to progress into an advanced apprenticeship, a level 3 vocational course, work in the related field or continue a traineeship with the organisation you've been working with. There is no impossible entry requirement either.
I recommend reading further here: https://www.ucas.com/alternatives/apprenticeships/apprenticeships-england/what-apprenticeships-are-available/intermediate-apprenticeships

Thanks man I’ll check it out
For most jobs, even some fast food places, they want gcse English and maths. I get that you keep saying you “can’t” retake them but if you really want to do something in your life you really should retake them. Anyone can retake, even adults, just find a reputable one online that is accredited by an exam board like aqa or edexcel. It’ll just cost you some money but it would be worth it in the long run.
Basically if you don’t care about redoing them then you’re very limited in what you can do for the rest of your life.
Fine thanks

man ur attitude sucks
man ur attitude sucks

What? How?
Original post by sophbrand31
Basically if you don’t care about redoing them then you’re very limited in what you can do for the rest of your life.

Ok
What? How?

v

also there's a certain unappreciated irony here
v

also there's a certain unappreciated irony here

Okay

Quick Reply