Oxford biochemistry and medicine for rest of universities

Watch
chatsmilady
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I just want to check but can you apply to bichemistry for oxford and apply medicine for the rest of the universities? Since oxbridge looks at the personal statement greatly, would you get rejected if the personal statment is all about medicine? Or if you write about medicine and biochemistry on the personal statment would that be okay? I need some advice please: would it be better to apply medicine to oxford or apply all non-medicine courses instead?
stenamb5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Never mind
Last edited by stenamb5; 6 months ago
BlueFlash3927
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by chatsmilady)
I just want to check but can you apply to bichemistry for oxford and apply medicine for the rest of the universities? Since oxbridge looks at the personal statement greatly, would you get rejected if the personal statment is all about medicine? Or if you write about medicine and biochemistry on the personal statment would that be okay? I need some advice please: would it be better to apply medicine to oxford or apply all non-medicine courses instead?
I applied for medicine and biomedicine and was told that a personal statement centered on medicine would suit both. I think this is because it is generally believed that those who apply for biomed as their fifth course intend to go into medicine through a graduate fast-track course, in any case. They will understand. I applied to Royal Holloway for biomed with my medical ps and got an offer. Tbh, Oxford will look at your personal statement more closely if they invite you to interview. Write a good personal statement, but bear in mind that they will be looking at your GCSEs and BMAT result and inviting you to interview on the basis of that. You should be aiming for a 7 or above in BMAT. Good luck!
chatsmilady
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueFlash3927)
I applied for medicine and biomedicine and was told that a personal statement centered on medicine would suit both. I think this is because it is generally believed that those who apply for biomed as their fifth course intend to go into medicine through a graduate fast-track course, in any case. They will understand. I applied to Royal Holloway for biomed with my medical ps and got an offer. Tbh, Oxford will look at your personal statement more closely if they invite you to interview. Write a good personal statement, but bear in mind that they will be looking at your GCSEs and BMAT result and inviting you to interview on the basis of that. You should be aiming for a 7 or above in BMAT. Good luck!
I am aware that other unis will understand but usually fifth course is used as backup so I thought no one would apply the fifth course to oxford. Hence, I was wondering whether oxford would think negatively if the course applied is biochemistry but the personal statement was about medicine. However, if like you said, they consider more of the grade of BMAT and GCSEs then I guess it would okay to apply this way.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am aware that other unis will understand but usually fifth course is used as backup so I thought no one would apply the fifth course to oxford. Hence, I was wondering whether oxford would think negatively if the course applied is biochemistry but the personal statement was about medicine. However, if like you said, they consider more of the grade of BMAT and GCSEs then I guess it would okay to apply this way.
Why don't you ask them.
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Ask them. I wouldn't be surprised if they would not accept that though - I asked UCL if I could apply for Human Biology there as my 5th and they said no, as it was so competitive that they would only want applicants for whom that course was their first choice. I'd imagine Oxford is more competitive!
Also, if they would accept you, you should ask if you can submit an alternative PS, rather than weakening yours for med by trying to write about two courses.
chatsmilady
Rep:
?
okay thank you I will!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (675)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads