The Student Room Group

Help with Primary training interview

“Choose a topic or subject that you feel pupils might struggle with and outline how you will help them to overcome this difficulty?”

My approach to helping pupils with challenging topics would be to teach information on that topic in small steps/amounts first. I will give examples of the topic/work though examples and use a range of methods to illustrate mathematical topics. I will also provide a review of the work in the next lesson.

I will use the example of a maths subject. I will be using the example of recognising fractions of a length in Year 2.

1. I will first start off with introducing what fractions are.

2. I will display the basic fractions on the board, such as 1/2, 3/4 and so on and explain what they mean. I will use pictorial examples in the board to illustrate.

3. As an practical method and activity, I may get objects/prompts/food etc to help pupils visualise fractions.

4. Next activity would be to get pupils to work in pairs and give them pictures. I will say 1/2,1/4 and get them to pick the image up in their pairs and show it to me.

4. Next activity would be to match up the fractions to the images - so I’m slowly bringing in the numbers into the topic so pupils can start to relate the numbers to the visual pictures.

5. Plenary would be be showing pictures and pupils writing down fractions on their white board and lifting it up or a fraction matching game on the board where I pic pupils to come up and match them.

My next lesson will have a review on the
fractions we learnt (matching up) on table in pairs. The next topic will be on using fractions to find a length. I will use different methods and show step by step examples and doing examples together.

“How are your degree or other qualifications relevant to teaching pupils in your chosen age range?“

I studied a Social Sciences degree, so my degree doesn’t have an obvious link to Primary education. I do, however, feel the skills that I have learnt can be used at primary level education.

Literacy - using different sources, referencing work, essay writing skills, reports and presentations I believe these are all skills which primary level children will need particularly in the upper years and skills which will prepare them for secondary school.

Research - teach pupils the necessary enquiry and research skills.

ICT- My degree has required me to have good ICT skills. The use of ICT effectively in the classroom preparing children for a technology rich future.

Creativity I have had to utilise creative ways to teach myself and use methods to revise subjects. I have used a range of methods to learn material. This is why I believe in a multi-approach and hope I can use that experience to create engaging lessons plans for lessons.

Apart from that, I’m not too sure what else to say.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey! I'm about to start a Primary PGCE and much of my experience is to do with the early years, so I apologise if my advice isn't appropriate, I am yet to learn more about KS1 :smile:

“Choose a topic or subject that you feel pupils might struggle with and outline how you will help them to overcome this difficulty?” - Maybe you need to state why you feel pupils will struggle? Is it something you struggled with? I would also have a think about how you might assess children's understanding and progress in this area, to check whether they will need another lesson on basic fractions before they move into something new. Otherwise this all looks great to me! :smile:

“How are your degree or other qualifications relevant to teaching pupils in your chosen age range?“ - This also looks good to me! Sounds like you are well prepared for your interview.

I had my Primary PGCE interview a couple of weeks ago, so I would recommend skimming over the Teachers' Standards and also safeguarding procedures. Both topics which came up during my interview so may also come up in yours. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by abbiesuzanne
Hey! I'm about to start a Primary PGCE and much of my experience is to do with the early years, so I apologise if my advice isn't appropriate, I am yet to learn more about KS1 :smile:

“Choose a topic or subject that you feel pupils might struggle with and outline how you will help them to overcome this difficulty?” - Maybe you need to state why you feel pupils will struggle? Is it something you struggled with? I would also have a think about how you might assess children's understanding and progress in this area, to check whether they will need another lesson on basic fractions before they move into something new. Otherwise this all looks great to me! :smile:

“How are your degree or other qualifications relevant to teaching pupils in your chosen age range?“ - This also looks good to me! Sounds like you are well prepared for your interview.

I had my Primary PGCE interview a couple of weeks ago, so I would recommend skimming over the Teachers' Standards and also safeguarding procedures. Both topics which came up during my interview so may also come up in yours. Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much! - your advice has been very useful. I’ll definitely keep that all in mind 😊

I wanted to also ask what kind of questions you asked them at the end of your interview? I know it’s good practice to ask questions at the end of any interviews.

I’ve applied for a salaried direct teaching route with a educational trust - so it’s primarily school based. I’m not sure what else to ask them, and was wondering if you have any other suggestions 😊

I have got these questions so far:
- What are your current goals for school/educational trust?
- What is the school’s/trust’s vision for the future?
- What is the school’s/trust’s greatest strength?
- What are the challenges facing the school/trust?

Other than that, I’m not sure what else I should ask as a prospective trainee.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 540
Thank you so much! - your advice has been very useful. I’ll definitely keep that all in mind 😊

I wanted to also ask what kind of questions you asked them at the end of your interview? I know it’s good practice to ask questions at the end of any interviews.

I’ve applied for a salaried direct teaching route with a educational trust - so it’s primarily school based. I’m not sure what else to ask them, and was wondering if you have any other suggestions 😊

I have got these questions so far:
- What are your current goals for school/educational trust?
- What is the school’s/trust’s vision for the future?
- What is the school’s/trust’s greatest strength?
- What are the challenges facing the school/trust?

Other than that, I’m not sure what else I should ask as a prospective trainee.

Glad I could help! Honestly, I was too nervous to ask any useful questions - the interviewers kindly told me that if I thought of any questions afterwards, I was welcome to email them. Those questions sound great though! You're probably more prepared for this interview than I was for mine! :smile:

To be honest I just asked about the structure of the course - I applied for the non-salaried school direct route, which is also primarily school-based but also involves some tuition at the university. I'm not sure how that's going to work out now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending